Freesat recorder box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am looking into getting a Freesat recorder box in the uk however don’t know whether to go for humax or Manhattan.
Has anyone had both and could let me know which menu is easier to use for programming recording etc .

Sponsored Links
i have recently bought both but in freeveiw and the format was similar but very different to my old boxes where date stored in exact order off recording without fail where as they are both in a folder format where programs are recorded in program groups regardless off date
the format on the daily channel list was normal to older machines just the folder format was different
i dont know iff the sat is the same as i have never used it but assume similar ??

as an aside i got the Manhattan from argos but found a few weeks later i could get it on my asda home delivery £20 cheaper lol

Hi,
I am looking into getting a Freesat recorder box in the uk however don’t know whether to go for humax or Manhattan.
Has anyone had both and could let me know which menu is easier to use for programming recording etc .

Freesat is a trade name which is used under licence by certain approved manufacturers. With Manhatten and Humax you're looking at two out of the three manufacturers who can use it. The Third is a company called Arris.

I mention that it's a trade name for a couple of reasons. First, because Freesat falls under the UK's official broadcast system umbrella its channel listing is structured in a way that's familiar with the way Freeview digital TV works; e.g. the first five channels are BBC 1, BBC 2, ITV, Ch4, Ch 5. This doesn't seem like such a big deal until you look at satellite receivers from 3rd party companies. Their channel list isn't in the same order, and they'll also include lots of channels that can be received that require additional subscriptions. By default, a Freesat box only lists the free-to-air channels that are part of the UK's digital TV service.

Second, Freesat has three generations of boxes. Manhatten has a Gen 1 licence. The Manhatten SX box is sold as a receiver only, not as a recorder. What's more, it has no facility to record to USB. The company used to make a recorder; the HDR-S. But that was discontinued some time ago. A Gen 1 licence doesn't include the ability to use internet services for catch-up TV either. Your £59 buys you a basic Freesat HD tuner only.

Humax have a Gen 2 licence. Up to a couple of years ago this was the latest thing. Gen 2 boxes came as tuners and as recorders with built-in hard drives. They also included access to catch-up TV such as BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub etc.

TTBOMK, Humax no longer makes new Freesat HD boxes. Periodically there is some refurbished stock released, but the pickings have become rather thin recently. What changed was the arrival of the Gen 3 boxes, but they're not from Humax.

French manufacturer Arris won the contract to supply the next generation boxes. Gen 3 boxes include UHD streaming/download. They also support more than the standard twin tuners. Using a box with a dual output wideband LNB enables it to view and record 6 channels simultaneously. It can still be used with a legacy LNB as used by Sky HD before they went Sky Q. With that LNB the Arris box reverts to dual tuner mode.

In new stock then your choices are the Manhattan tuner-only box or one of the Arris boxes which are sold as Freesat-UHD. Humax is no longer on the table other than the occasional refurb unit or a second-hand box.

[If this has been helpful, hover your mouse over Quote then click the Thanks button]

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks guys I ll look into the Freesat 500g one that everyone has mentioned and try Asda to see if there’s a cost cutting idea there .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back