Freestanding Fibreglass Flat Roof Advice

The picture you posted earlier showed you exactly how to do it, so why did you query them. You haven't got the roof on yet, so you take the cladding up as far as it will go on the sides and the back, and then fit the roof as per the picture. At the front, the joists can overhand a little, you clad up to the joists, then fit the facia on the joists fronts, and a small sofit underneath to allow ventilation holes, or you do it the same as you have for the sides and the rear.

Sponsored Links
Here is a mock up of what I think we are discussing:

JU6nBX8.png

On the left is what I am currently working towards with the roof extended to overhang the cladding. On the right is a mock up without and overhang which I can't see working?

The picture you posted earlier showed you exactly how to do it, so why did you query them. You haven't got the roof on yet, so you take the cladding up as far as it will go on the sides and the back, and then fit the roof as per the picture. At the front, the joists can overhand a little, you clad up to the joists, then fit the facia on the joists fronts, and a small sofit underneath to allow ventilation holes, or you do it the same as you have for the sides and the rear.

The reason I queried it is because early on in this thread you advised a 20mm overhang. I think I was also advised not to overhang the OSB without it being supported underneath hence trying to work out the best way of extending the side adjacent to the joists.

Also I have now fitted noggins long the centre.
zNOZLzp.jpg

And here are my joists front and rear.

eFllcbx.jpg

PF1jQSH.jpg

Should I fit noggins flush with the front and rear ends of the joists and then fit a facia board or can I simply fix the facia board to the ends of the joists?

Sponsored Links
Sorry Skavenger, but I was under the impression that you were building a shed, not the start of a small housing estate, so yes, a lot of my initial comments, aren't appropriate. A shed would only have a small overhang to provide a drip, but you seem to be going for more of a soffit type finish. I initially expected the noggins to go at the front and the back to stop the joists twisting, and assumed you'd fit them in the centre as you have done as well. But if you're fitting insulation, then you want an air flow over the top of the insulation, so you can't block it. But you can fit the facia boards direct to the end of the joists, whichever way you decide to handle things.

I can't see which way it slopes for water run-off.

Sorry Skavenger, but I was under the impression that you were building a shed, not the start of a small housing estate, so yes, a lot of my initial comments, aren't appropriate. A shed would only have a small overhang to provide a drip, but you seem to be going for more of a soffit type finish. I initially expected the noggins to go at the front and the back to stop the joists twisting, and assumed you'd fit them in the centre as you have done as well. But if you're fitting insulation, then you want an air flow over the top of the insulation, so you can't block it. But you can fit the facia boards direct to the end of the joists, whichever way you decide to handle things.

Shed / workshop that has been built to last a better spec than some of the houses on a local building site. The gable ends have started to fall off because they forgot to fit any wall ties!!

I will be fitting insulation but have settled on a composite roof (not warm or cold) because I can't have air flow out of the rear and I can't go any higher for a warm roof. The voids will be packed with insulation.

I'll go with my ladder overhang on the sides and noggin out the front and rear. I'll probably have to stagger the noggins though as if I fit them at the ends there's a likely hood of splitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back