Fitting Facia / Soffits For GRP Flat Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

I am building a workshop in my garden and have now got to the point where I am waiting to have the roof GRP'd. Before going ahead I need to fit the facia boards.

I have looked at several pics and need some advice on fitting the facias / soffits correctly.
My OSB is already fitted so is flush to the edge of the roof timbers.

1. When I fit the facias should I fit them so the top of the facia is flush with the top of the OSB, or leave them 18mm (the OSB depth) lower so that they are level with the timber that the OSB sits on?

2. The facia boards will be secured to the 4x2. On the sides it will be screwed in to the side of the 4 x 2 but at the front and rear it will be screwed into the end grain. The Facia boards are 175mm which means they will hang down do I need to fit some

3. At the rear end the roof joist only overhang by 20mm will it be ok to just fit the facia board or should I run a piece of 4x2 along the ends of the roof joists and then fit the facia board. This will give me about 50mm overhang at the rear which is a block wall (the back of the shed) Or as the rear will have an arris rail (as the fall is to the front) does it make any difference?

Here is a thread I started some time back asking for advice on the roof timber structure showing part of the construction.

Since then the only changes to the pics is that on the sides I now have a 100mm overhang as I bridged some 4 x 2 along the sides to offer some protection to the cladding that will be fitted.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back