Freestanding Oven replacement.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a old freestanding electric double over with hob that I was hoping to replace with a single built in oven and hob.

The old cooker is connected to a spur below the counter and a 6mm2 T&E tail to the appliance.

The spur above is connected to a red cooker switch with a 10mm2 T&E, which then leads to the CU on a separate 30amp circuit with 10mm2.

I purchased a 16amp 2.9kW oven, and 6.6kW hob. Sadly, the oven has been shipped with a 13amp plug(!), even though it never mentioned it would.

Before I send this thing back and waste time I thought I would ask you clever lot if it was possible to still hardwire this oven regardless? I don't want the extra expense of getting in an eletrictian to add addition 13amp switched FCU.

Surely if the load ia fixed then I should be good to simply hardwire both the exiting spur.

If you need any additional images, I will be happy to include.

Cheers
Byron

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Upon further reading, I have found that the fuse in the plug is only to protect the cable not the device.

The appliance does allow me the ability to unscrew the entire cable and plug. Thereby allowing me to connect the existing 6mm2 t&e direct to the new oven.

Does that sound right?

Yes, that's ok.

That's poor and dangerous advice!

What type of connection does the new hob require?
Yes , sorry you are absolutely correct. When the op said a spur I should have looked more closely at the pic & realised it was a CCU not a fused spur. I should also have read it a few more times before replying
The fuse in the plug will protect appliance as well as the cable so no, I would not do it that way. Unless of course the oven is protected by internal fuses in which case you could upgrade the cable & carry out your original plan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back