freeview/ ariel prob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have just moved into a new property but i can only get 31 channels when i scan my tv and none of these are common ones ie bbc1 2 itv 4 etc, any ideas why, i only changed my tv liceince over today would this be why?

Sponsored Links
freeveiw is in bands and groups with no connection to any system that can cut you off or reduce your service
if you have connected to the ariel already there try a retune and let us know how you get on

Not all TV's and set-top boxes are equal. Before my aerial fell down I had noticed my Panasonic TV was doing a grand job of finding channels which was quite surprising since I had a broken aerial feed. But the set-top box was showing zero.

The programs are sent in groups called a multiplex and each group is at a different frequency. In the old days pre-digital the areas had all programs bunched together so we could use light high gain narrow band aerials. As we moved over to digital the multiplex signals were slotted in where they could so were no longer in a narrow band so we had to fit new aerials often called digital aerials which were heavy wide band aerials likely to rip your landers off if that's where they were mounted and also likely lower gain than the previous narrow band versions.

As the change over was completed again the areas were able to compact the multiplexers into a narrow band again but not always the same narrow band as used before. Also unlike the analogue signals it's an all or nothing there is no half way. So if your aerial is designed for the next group of frequencies to what is now used you will likely pick up the multiplex signal closest to your aerials design but not those further away from the design frequency.

The end of your aerial should have a little coloured bung at the end of the main boom and this will denote the frequency. Where I live I need green not sure what it is in your area but I am sure you can soon find out now you know what your looking for.

Sponsored Links
You seem to know what you are talking about .
Could you offer any advice ?.

Have cable in downstairs tv set up-- and freeview upstairs.
Old freeview box- kept cutting out at certain times (babestation etc ) ((( just a joke)).
Needed a re-boot.

decided to get a new mini freeview scart plug in thingy.

Anyway- it just blanked out BBC channels.
Pal told me it was aerial- so today got a 52 element expensive lump of ali.
Even worse.
Aerial is in loft.
I got a bracket today as well and intend to put it outside on roof. We are 8 miles as the crow flies from Winter Hill transmitter-- and we also are pretty high up.

Auto search on tv brings up every station.
But- BBC stations right now are 'no signal- etc.

I know putting ali on roof will/should improve things---but- dont want to end up like Rod Hill and his Emu- just to get a better reception.
)as a matter of fact- Rods daugter lives 200 yards from me )-Honestly.

Would you please offer5 some advice- if possible. ?.
regards,
Pete

Just had a weekend in the lakes. Channels on freeview in Windermere came to 12.

See my previous post.
Thanks for that Sam.
I intend to work my way through the list.
Today though- I disconnected aerial- auto-tuned programs in-then plugged in aerial- tuned auto again- and there it was- BBC-clear as a bell.
Then went to re-set alarm clock (for 10am) and off went bbc.
Clicked on signal thingy- and was 47% and quality was 97%--but - no bbc and just said- 'Bad signal or faulty signal (or something like that).

when it stops raining- I'll be up on roof fixing aerial to gable end- pointing over house towards Winter Hill.

See my previous post.
Thanks for that Sam.
Today though- I disconnected aerial- auto-tuned programs in-then plugged in aerial- tuned auto again- and there it was- BBC-clear as a bell.
Clicked on signal thingy- and was 47% and quality was 97%--but - no bbc and just said- 'Bad signal or faulty signal (or something like that).

when it stops raining- I'll be up on roof fixing aerial to gable end- pointing over house towards Winter Hill.

ok- todays update- went and got a new pole to fit to new outside bracket . Fitted both of them- complete with 52 thingy gain aerial- on my roof. Also changed the coax for best stuff- and also dumped the wall socket and went straight to the freeview box and TV.

I could see winter Hill mast - and aimed my 1450mm aerial directly at it- like a rocket launcher. Had a running commentary from 'her inside' as well.
Signal- 63% Quality- 97%.
Still BBC came on and then went off after 10 mins.
SO--Went and robbed a signal booster- fitted it- and signal went up to 73%.
Was ok for 10 mins- and then-- off it went . 61% strength and 0% quality.
Sick of it now- £100 plus and still crap.

Cable extension at £5 a week seems a good deal right now.

See my previous post.
Thanks for that Sam.

ok- todays update- went and got a new pole to fit to new outside bracket . Fitted both of them- complete with 52 thingy gain aerial- on my roof. Also changed the coax for best stuff- and also dumped the wall socket and went straight to the freeview box and TV.

I could see winter Hill mast - and aimed my 1450mm aerial directly at it- like a rocket launcher. Had a running commentary from 'her inside' as well.
Signal- 63% Quality- 97%.
Still BBC came on and then went off after 10 mins.
SO--Went and robbed a signal booster- fitted it- and signal went up to 73%.
Was ok for 10 mins- and then-- off it went . 61% strength and 0% quality.
Sick of it now- £100 plus and still crap.

Cable extension at £5 a week seems a good deal right now.

ps also started fiddling- and now- all channels are mixed up and no sign of BBC channels anywhere-.

I think it's best i stick to building and leave the 'too high tech stuff to me' for the people who do it for a living.

As you can actually see Winter Hill mast, you must be within 10 miles?
In which case the signal will be extremely strong and you'll probably need a small aerial plus an attenuator (and/or a passive splitter if feeding more than one point).

A signal that is too strong will overload the tuner, causing it to reduce its gain. That will usually cause a low signal reading or a reading that "bounces" up and down.

In which case the signal will be extremely strong and you'll probably need a small aerial plus an attenuator (and/or a passive splitter if feeding more than one point).

A signal that is too strong will overload the tuner, causing it to reduce its gain. That will usually cause a low signal reading or a reading that "bounces" up and down.

Thanks again Sam-- I appreciate you taking the time .
I really am confused now --so- taking your advice- I have ordered a attenuator- and that's where I will start.
A bit loath to ditch the £30 aerial right now though (male pride thing I think).
What really confuses me though is the fact that whatever I do and fiddle with- I just cant get any BBC channels showing. also- channel 1 is now ITV- channel 2 is channel 4 etc .
All channels are jumbled up.
However - absolutely perfect reception and picture quality on those I can get.
BUT- every so often- have to unplug the power to get everything back on again.
Regards,
Pete

Thanks again Sam-- I appreciate you taking the time .
I really am confused now --so- taking your advice- I have ordered a attenuator- and that's where I will start.
A bit loath to ditch the £30 aerial right now though (male pride thing I think).
What really confuses me though is the fact that whatever I do and fiddle with- I just cant get any BBC channels showing. also- channel 1 is now ITV- channel 2 is channel 4 etc .
All channels are jumbled up.
However - absolutely perfect reception and picture quality on those I can get.
BUT- every so often- have to unplug the power to get everything back on again.
Regards,
Pete

OK- got my BBc channels back- all with correct numbers.
BBC1 came on perfect picture and sound - 62% signal strength and 90% quality.
All other channels had same signal readings too.
Then- 10 mins later- bbc went off-- signal strength 57% and signal quality 0 %.
All other channels were perfect.
I tried the attenuator and signal strength went down 10% - but still no bbc and as usual- all other channels exept a few were perfect.
Last throw of the dice may come tomorrow- when (if it's not raining) I will be up on roof and putting the old small aerial back on.
if that dont work- I will be giving Virgin a call very soon and getting a cable connection.

OK- got my BBc channels back- all with correct numbers.
BBC1 came on perfect picture and sound - 62% signal strength and 90% quality.
All other channels had same signal readings too.
Then- 10 mins later- bbc went off-- signal strength 57% and signal quality 0 %.
You need to determine what is happening after 10 minutes. Something warming up? Something switching on or off? Something timing out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back