TV ariel help please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a wife freeview enabled TV in my sitting room but I can't get an ariel to it. I have heard stories about wifi boosters? How can I get the TV to work. I can get an ariel point to a booster but need to still get that to connect with the tv?

Sponsored Links
First ariel is washing powder. Do you want to wash your TV?

The only way to get an aerial feed to a TV is by coaxial cable. There must be some way, how about through the widow frame and up to the roof. A wi-fi booster is not for aerials.

Thank you for the reply - and forgive the spelling - never my strong suit! There is a way to do the cabling but it will be super messy and whilst I know I could do it - I don't want to - hence my question on whether there is an alternative. Why do you say wifi booster is not for aerials? Is that because they don't work well or simply don't work?

It is not permitted to transmit on the same frequency as TV signals are broadcast of course so only way is to first turn it into another frequency that you are permitted to use. To transmit all programs would require too much band width so only a single program can be transmitted and received within the house. So you would need a box to receive the freeview then a box to transmit to that freeview box to tell it what program to receive and re-transmit and then get the re-transmitted signal and display it.

This can be done you can receive TV on a PC and use remote desktop to view and listen to that TV from a remote room so yes it can be done. However I suspect you want to do it without using two PC's?

And yes there are cheaper devices which will do the same thing
l_01122501.jpg
it states:-
One for All's high frequency 2.4GHz, SV 1715 Wireless TV Sender enables you to send audio and video signals to another TV in the house, without the need for cables.
The infra red eye allows you to remotely change channel on the Sky or cable box or control your DVD player device from another room.
A single SCART input enables you to connect any compatible device in the transmitter so you can enjoy in another room.
Watch Sky or a DVD in bed using the SV 1715 receiver and enjoy full control without having to get up.
Tidy up your home entertainment setup with the One for All SV 1715 Wireless TV Sender.

However there is clearly a limit to how many wireless devices can use the frequencies that we are allowed to use. Much depends on what other equipment in the area is trying to use the same band width. And what comes along in the future. I have seen it so many times, set it up and all works well for a year, then something happens and it all fails. I had it with standard cables TV I had a device to take a SCART input and send it as RF down a TV cable so any room I could watch standard TV and what ever was on Sky and what ever was on DVD and what ever was on my VCR. However then freeview came along and it all fell over.

I would say if it can be wired that is always the best and avoid using RF where ever you can. If you live in the middle of no where it may work but then you would not need it.

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify, and assuming you have a smart "WiFi" enabled TV (not a "wife" one!) do you want to:
1. Watch live Freeview broadcast TV via an an aerial on your roof
2. Watch online services such as BBC I-Player from the Internet over a Wi-Fi connection
3. Both of the above

What I would like to do is yes watch the freeview channels - the internet enabled services all work fine but because it is not hard wired in to an aerial anything that requires a hard line signal doesn't work - only the wi-fi services work. This is what I want to change

OK, you already have option 2 working, great news! However, unfortunately I don't know of any device that will take the full Freeview signal and broadcast it over WiFi, they are completely different technologies. The wireless sender suggested by ericmark would work, but you'd need another Freeview box next to wherever the aerial comes into the house, and I also agree they are very prone to playing up (interference) as things around you change. A hard-wired connection to the aerial would be many, many times more reliable, which I know is not what you need to hear.

Nick

Why do you say wifi booster is not for aerials? Is that because they don't work well or simply don't work?
They don't work for aerials, the frequency is completely different, and as ericmark says you cannot transmit on TV frequencies anyway.

I'm afraid you will just have to wire it, messy or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back