Freeview pixelating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My freeview aerial comes into the living room, to a booster and then a splitter between the living room and bedroom. The TV in the living room has suddenly become unwatchable due to pixelating and crackling and jumping - the TV in the bedroom is perfectly fine

Any ideas? I tried retuning the living room TV and that made no difference

Sponsored Links
What happens if you swap the tv's round? Do you get the problem on the same aerial feed or same TV?

first thing i do is rotate the end off the lead in the socket or femail about quarter turn several times all ends in case off oxidization or loose connection

Sponsored Links
first thing i do is rotate the end off the lead in the socket or femail about quarter turn several times all ends in case off oxidization or loose connection

Just done that. Disconnected all the cables and put them back in. Just the same :(

remove the booster from the circuit and connect the tv direct to the cable and what happens
remember if you have retuned you may have removed any channels and have to start as a first install
it is never a good idea to retune on a bad signal as it complicates the situation
if you get a good signal and it retunes ok do "NOT" retune again till both are working well as that parts ok

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I'm being really thick or not but unplugged the aerial cable from the booster and put it direct into the TV and I've no signal at all :/

have you removed the booster and plugged the tv into the ariel source??

Now I've put the aerial back into the booster, and taken it out of the splitter and connected it that way and it's still flippin pixelating but maybe not as bad as it was.

I give up for the night I think

there are all sorts off things to try ??
try swapping connecting leads with the other tv
to rule out the leads
try connecting the bad tv to the good booster connection for the other tv

and try connecting another tv to the bad position

in general your options are aerial failure but the other tv funtions enough with conneted wire and or booster so no or reduced aeriel or booster input so not a direct swap but may help

cable failure so swap
booster port or complete failure so swap
tv failed try swaping known working with failed tv
iff difficult try them with next doors

Last edited:
My freeview aerial comes into the living room, to a booster and then a splitter between the living room and bedroom. The TV in the living room has suddenly become unwatchable due to pixelating and crackling and jumping - the TV in the bedroom is perfectly fine

Any ideas? I tried retuning the living room TV and that made no difference

@big-all and @Mottie have given you some good advice already, so forgive me if I go over some stuff you might have already done as I take you step-by-step through troubleshooting.

What we know:
- your aerial works, and so does the 'booster' and at least one side of the splitter and the cable to the bedroom TV. We know all this because there's a decent picture on the bedroom telly

- the problem is confined to just the lounge TV, so this could be an issue with one side of the splitter, or the cable from the splitter to the TV, or the TV itself

What we don't know:

- whether the booster is a real booster or if it's a power supply for an aerial amplifier somewhere on the aerial mast or in the loft (highly likely, but could do with being confirmed; a make and model number would be useful)

boosters_vs_power_supplies.jpg

- if there is a masthead amp somewhere, is it one with a fixed amount of amplification, or does it have a level adjustment control. This could be on the amp itself or on the power supply that looks like the booster

- the quality and condition of the fly lead from the splitter to the lounge TV

What we think we know:

- cleaning off a bit of oxidisation on the plug ends hasn't changed or improved the situation

- removing the 'booster' from the system results in no signal at all (situation much worse)

A bit of information:
These are the three most likely causes for signal pixelation
1) too little signal
2) too much signal - symptoms look exactly like too little signal
3) broken fly lead

Working the problem:

too little signal - I think if this the main cause then the bedroom TV would be the first to show symptoms. All cable contributes to signal loss, and so the additional length of cable from the splitter to the bedroom would mean a weaker signal there than in the lounge. There is the possibility that the bedroom TV's tuner is a lot more sensitive that the lounge set, but I think we should look for simpler solutions first before considering the exotic.

too much signal - This is a possibility if the booster or masthead amp has a power level adjustment and it has been knocked which resulted in it being turned up. That might explain the sudden change in conditions. If there's no such adjuster, then we should probably stick to simpler solutions.

broken fly lead - With aerial signals, a break in the cable doesn't always result in complete signal loss. If there's a hairline crack in the solder joint of a shop-bought cable with moulded ends it can be impossible to spot but still result in some picture problems such as pixelation.

Tests:

Test 1 "Is the splitter faulty?" - swap the connections on the splitter outputs. Change them over so that the socket that was connected to the bedroom now feeds the lounge. If the results on the lounge TV are the same then we can rule out the splitter as the cause, so that means it's a cable- or a TV tuner- fault.

Test 2 "Is the fly lead for the lounge TV faulty?" - if it's possible, disconnect this short lead from the lounge TV and take it to the bedroom. Add it to the end of the cable going to the bedroom TV. This will make it that the signal has to pass through this short lead before getting to the bedroom TV. If the bedroom TV now pixelates, then you've found the problem. Replace this lead with a better made alternative.

Follow this guide and do these tests then let us know the results. If you want a really good aerial fly lead - much better than you'll get from the local supermarkets or DIY sheds - but without breaking the bank, send me a private message. I've just done the same for someone in Tranent EH32. It came in cheaper than the poor lead he bought from TESCO, and he messaged back that his channel scan now gets 212 channels whereas before he got under 200.

If this and other replies were helpful to you, then please do the decent thing and click the T-H-A-N-K-S button on all those the posts. This isn't a big thing to ask of you. It takes a couple of seconds to do, and it costs you nothing.

You'll find that the Thanks button appears when you hover the mouse pointer near the Quote Multi-quote buttons.

This is the proper way to show your thanks and respect for the time, experience and help someone gave to you when you were in need. Be a good forum user and say thank you in the proper way. It will help to ensure that you continue to receive advice

Well, what I thought was a booster (it used to be) is actually a power supply thingy for a mast head amp. It got replaced not long ago as it sort of blew up - well it was soaking wet inside and knackered.

Thank you for the really good step by step instructions.

I have come to the conclusion that it's my TV. After checking all the cables and having no improvement, I got some able assistance and we moved TVs about and yep, it's my TV. Now have one on loan from mother :)

Yay, I was right which proves the theory that even a blind squirrel can dig up a nut occasionally! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back