FREEZE PLASTIC PIPES ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , can you use those "freeze kits" on modern plastic piping - 22mm ??? Or are the "ice plug" type "freeze kits" only for tapping into copper pipe ?
Id have thought the plastic would just shatter ?
Has anyone any info on this ?

Sponsored Links
This is taken from the Hep2o installer guide.

Hep2o uses Polybutelyne pipe some others use PEX

Freezing for maintenance/system modification
Hep2O pipe can be frozen for maintenance/repairs
without damage to the system. When freezing equipment, manufacturers' instructions should be followed. Always freeze at a reasonable distance from where pipe is to be cut.

I have used a freeze kit on my plastic heating pipes (Speedfit) with no ill effects. I think the time required to freeze the pipe is higher because the plastic doesn't conduct as well as copper, so take this into consideration.

Sponsored Links
A squeeze off tool only costs a few quid nod lasts until you take it off
And you can use it again.
Jeff

If you want to freeze plastic, you need to slightly distort the pipe, ie with a pair of mole grips to alter the shape. Plastic is very slippery and the plug can shoot along the pipe if it gets dislodged. If you alter the pipe shape it can't slip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back