Pipe freezing at a tee joint

crt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move a radiator on a pressurised system where the 15mm flow and return come off the 22mm main feeds in a position too close to be able to get a pipe freezing jacket on the 15mm sections. What I want to do is freeze the 22mm feeds and then work on the 15mm sections. I've used pipe freezing aerosol kits successfully on 15mm before but not on 22mm and not where I will have pressure in both directions.

I would rather not have to use two kits at a distance apart on the 22mm.

What I am thinking of doing is freezing the 22mm at the point it tees off to the 15mm. This would mean that the 15mm tee and pipe would poke out of the side of the freezing jacket.

Question is, will this work, or will the gap made by the tee stop the ice plug forming?

(Draining and then bleeding this big system is something I want to avoid).

Sponsored Links
close the boiler isolation valves, any aav's, the bypass, all the rad valves on the system and the pump valves (if external to boiler). Do this with the power turned off. Get a self cutting tap and use as a local draincock on the pipework where the work is to be carried out and relief system pressure into a bucket, it would be easier and quicker to use compression fittings as soldering may be difficult if there is any water i the pipework cooling the pipe back down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back