Freezing my stop cock off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move the pipe between my cold water tank and the drain cock. As there is no valve between the two I am planning to use a freeze spray to form an ice plug and then quickly swap over to the new bit of pipe.

Now, the drain cock is connected via a 22mm pipe. I bought a pipe freezing kit in a well-known DIY-shed. When I got it home it only mentions 12 and 15mm pipe. I have tried the jacket on a 22mm pipe and it fits perfectly.

So, I was wondering. Has anyone tried using a Wickes pipe-freezing kit on a 22mm pipe? How long did the ice plug last there?

Now, I can already hear the alarm bells ringing in many heads: "why isn't he just going to drain the whole system down first, rather than risk 100-odd gallons of cold water coming through his ceiling?". Good question. Well, using the drain cock is my fall-back option. I just really don't want to have to drain my cold cistern. Just seems like a lot of bother to me.

Sponsored Links
hmmmm..............100 + gallons of water and an ice plug that MAY work, V drain system down, hmmmmmmmmmm

Yes. After writing that post my thoughts were rationalised and I began to wonder what the heck I was doing! I will keep the freeze kit for emergencies I think. Time to look up what kind of hose to connect to my drain "valve" now.

I think I was just seduced by using something that is so extremely cold.

I like the subtle change on the thread name, I did think I was being a bit cheeky! I can't help it, all these amusing terms.

Now to ask questions about greasing nipples in the car forum...

How about a cork to plug the outlet in the tank?

Sponsored Links
Oh, like plug the tank connector with a cork bung from inside the tank? Could be a way round it. I would have to make sure that the cork isn't going to get sucked into the pipe, that is the only problem I can foresee.

Good thinking.

AdamW said:
I would have to make sure that the cork isn't going to get sucked into the pipe, that is the only problem I can foresee.

Good thinking.

Big cork?

but what about the water from the other direction in the pipe?

So far as I can tell, the water will only be running in one direction. I am cutting into the pipe above the level of the hot cylinder (which will have been left to cool for a day), so I won't be getting that draining on me.

What hose does one use to drain via a drain cock? Is there an attachment I can fit to allow a standard garden hose to attach? Or do I need to use a special rubber tube?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back