Freezer icing up (frost free)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a Bosch fridge freezer - model I think is KGN34X00

Short story is clear ice is building up in freezer. I had one attempt to defrost it (switched off for a day) but didn't cure it. I wanted to remove the plastic panels inside to get to the drain hole but wasn't sure how.

I've included a couple of pics, when I removed the top screws it looked like the refrigeration(?) unit behind the plastic was moving too so I was cautious about trying to remove it. Does anyone know?

First pic is upside down!!

Sponsored Links
this is not unusual

Frost-free freezers have air ducts hidden inside the rear casing. It is possible for them to become choked with ice.

Turn it off and open the doors. Eat all the food. Leave it open until there are no more drips inside the cabinet or into the dish on top of the motor (sponge out this dish so it doesn't overflow). It may take a couple of days. If you don't let ALL the ice melt and dry out you have wasted your time.

Sometimes the problem will have been caused by leaving the doors open, or having damaged door seals. Or it may be that the defrost heating circuit is fault, in which case it is probably beyond economic repair.

See how long it takes to frost up again before deciding what to do.

Thanks for the tips JohnD.

I left for a day last time so pretty sure it was fully defrosted - although water only accumulated in the freezer, not in the tray at the back making me think there is maybe a drain hole that is blocked. Only probably is that I thinks it hidden behind the plastic panel - so I'd like to check but don't want to risk causing any damage.

I'm normally happy doing most DIY jobs, taking computers apart etc but would prefer some guidance on how this is put together first.

Sponsored Links
I pulled apart my freezer & attacked it with a hair dryer, worked well!

I`m sure you`re not supposed to do this but it worked & said fridge freezer is still going strong years later & has not iced up since.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back