Freezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my hotpoint 18 month old fridge freezer has defrosted fridge is cool sometimes it cuts in The bulb is on when you open the door.Ive been looking on YouTube they are saying it could be the starter relay if it was faulty would the light work in the fridge
Thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
yes it would.

but is any part of the appliance cold?

Is it a frost-free freezer?

My fridge is about 20 years old. I have now replaced the thermostat (with a generic universal one) three times. The internal light is not related to the thermostat.

Sorry, I don't know if my answer has helped you. Your question wasn't very clear (I respectfully suggest that you read what you type before hitting the post button).

regards (and yes, I have been guilty of the same)

edit________

The first time, I replaced the thermostat because the the fridge wasn't cooling anything. The two other times, the fridge was not getting as cold as it should.d

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
frost-free freezers have ducts behind the back wall, and a fan blows cold air through these.

They are prone to blocking with ice. Once an ice block has started it get bigger and bigger.

You have to turn the machine off, take all the food out and eat it, and leave the door open for at least 24 hours or until it has stopped dripping, inside and out and including into the dish on top of the motor (you will have to pull it away from the wall to see this. clean the dish out, it may be dirty and mouldy).

If you plug it back in before all the ice has melted and dripped out, you have wasted your time.

Leaving the door partly open may cause this. It will also happen if the defrost heaters are not working. If you fully defrost it, see if it happens again, and how long it takes. If it happens quickly, the machine could be repaired, if you think the cost is worthwhile. If it takes a year or so, you might be willing to do an annual manual defrost and save your money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back