Freezing problems with Hotpoint Fridge Freezer - model FFA91

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We just got back from holiday and the temperature alarm was sounding on our Hotpoint freezer, I noticed that it was only at about -1 degrees and the food was ruined. Although its a frost free model ((FFA91G)fridge freezer) I have thoroughly defrosted it and fired it up again. The temperature dropped fairly quickly again down to about -3 degrees and then went back up to about 0 degrees. After this it just fluctuated between the two temperatures and wouldn't go any lower. I removed the panel at the back to expose the cooling fan and there appears to be frost around the pipes but the fan itself is stationary and doesn't appear start up at any point in the process, even if I activate Fast Freeze, I suspect issues with the thermostat but I'm no expert. Does anybody have any ideas if is financially viable to fix this myself or is it time to buy a new model. The appliance is about 7 yrs old.

Sponsored Links
how long did you allow it to defrost?

Was it switched off with both doors open? Did you look at the drip dish on top of the motor?

Hi there,

Many thanks for taking time to reply, much appreciated.

We allowed several hours to defrost yesterday, aided with a hairdryer. It was fairly well defrosted when we got back from our holiday so think it may have been like that for days. Having said that, i've had it switched off since yesterday afternoon with the doors open and will re-try switching on again this afternoon, see if theres any joy. I have pushed a semi rigid cable down the drain hole and its all clear and there is a small amount of water in the drip dish above the motor.

I'll post again this evening after I have given it time to get up and running and see if the temp gets any lower.

Thanks again,
Ross

Keep it defrosting until no more water drips out, front or back.

It takes a long time to clean out the ice from the channels inside the back casing, possibly two days. Don't turn it back on until completely dry..

Of course, that might not be the trouble, but it is very common and an easy fix.

Sponsored Links
Hi there John.

Many thanks again for the prompt reply, I will leave for another day just for good measure.

It's got to be worth a shot as it had been super-freezing a month or so before we went away where I was having to remove a bit of ice building up inside.

Will let you know what happens either way.

Thanks
Ross

Hi John,

Apologies in the delay in getting back to you.

Just wanted to conclude that unfortunately after having the freezer off for a couple of days to allow to fully defrost it was struggling to reach a temperature below 15 degrees. So, we had to concede defeat and get a new one, as living without the freezer for a few days with the family was pretty difficult.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for your help and advice.

Much appreciated
Ross

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back