French Domestic Distribution Board

RJT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to change my distribution board and while I have completed this many within the UK, I am getting thoroughly confused with the terminology used in France.

Anyone care to give me a web site that provides some support in this direction.

Differentials/Interuptors. Type A, Type AC? I getting confused with.

An electrical question;- I note in a lot of the new panels that the smallest circuit breaker is 10amp rather than in the UK where a 6amp device is used for lighting circuits.

Is somewhere like Brico Depot to go to source the panel or is there an 'electrical wholesaler' similar to the UK.

Many thanks for your help in anticipation

Sponsored Links
Differentials/Interuptors. Type A, Type AC? I getting confused with.

That'll be an RCD.

You need to check the requirements of the French wiring standard (I cannot recall what they call it), and whether there are any laws regarding notifying anyone of this work.

Whats your French like? I reckon I could just about manage to order lunch with the aid of a phrase book, and a lot of pointing and speaking loudly and slowly ;) (I suppose its no wonder us Brits have a bad repuation abroad!) but I reckon you are going to need to have a pretty good grasp of the language...

Yep, I knew they were RCD'd but had not got a clue where each one is used. I have been given a web page now and that has sorted out my immediate problem.

I am not aware of any 'laws' that prevents me from installing same within France. I don't think at the moment Part P regs (or similar) are used within France but I can see that sooner or later this type of control will be in place.

For your information the web page I was pointed to was;-

http://www.westernautomation.com/pages/demystify.htm#typelist

Type A and AC, etc are the same as for RCDs in this country AFAIK,

AC is for AC faults, and A for faults that may have a rectified component

Sponsored Links
French wiring regulations are actually FAR FAR stricter than the UK in terms of who can do what.

Their regulations are completely different in a whole variety of other ways too.

Just be VERY careful you could wind up invalidating your building insurance and possibly facing prosecution.

I don't think changing a full fusebox/distribution unit is something that they'll allow you to do as a DIY enthusiast.

There are major differences like they use double pole breakers, and there are substantial differences with the earthing arrangements!

Back