French Door Locks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking to get new french doors for house.
For the sake of argument something very similar to this.

http://www.valuedoorsuk.co.uk/arched-french-door-item_417.html

The guy doing it has given us the option of:
a) single handle, single lock on one door, latches inside to hold other door. So to open both we'd unlock, go in, unlatch other door
b) double handles, lock on each. To open both doors we'd need to unlock both and open both.

But, we used to have some patio doors that weren't much bigger, that had double handles, but only one of the handles had a lock.
You would unlock that door, open that door, then you could just push down the handle to open the other one. No bolts required.
To lock it, you'd shut 2nd door, push handles up to lock it in place, then close first door, handles up on that one and lock.

The guy fitting hasn't seem this before. Does anyone know what sort of mechanism it would have been, so I can point him in the right direction and see if we can get the same thing fitted? We dont want two locks, but the door might be a bit narrow and it would be good to easily open both doors.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I see you're looking at a double door for your porch. With double doors you need at least one of them to have bolts shooting up and down into the head and sill.

You are right, with small double doors you will find yourself squeezing through the narrow gap.

Maybe consider having a full-size door. Especially for the front door of your house, which will be used very frequently, sometimes while carrying bags or small family members.

Unfortunately, there's not room internally for a full-size door so it would have to open outwards, which we've discounted.

So really just after a way of opening/locking both doors off one lock, as described above, which seems the best compromise to us.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I genuinly dont know. Possibly. I should have said its for UPVC rather than timber, where the one you linked is for timber (I believe)

Just go with the standard handle/lock on the slave door. You don't have to key lock it but you can if your going away on holiday for extra security.

I never liked the latches on slave doors, as they are a pain to operate and tend to get broken easily.
If its an outer porch you could even have thumbturn locks but I wouldn't recommend them if you have a letterbox

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back