french door toe and heel help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have partly installed a french door, and one of the doors is catching the bottom, and the other is catching the top.
I need to obviously toe and heel it but since I've never glazed before I'm in need of some direction.

This is my current line of thinking, please correct accordingly:
1. The left door that catches as the bottom, I should pack the bottom left (hinge)
2. The right door, I should pack the top left (where the locking mechanism is).

With that said, should I do the packing whilst the door is closed and locked or open ? I feel like doing it with the door open will be easier so I can get someone to lift the left door up as I pack it and pull down with the right door, but I don't want the glazing to fall out.

The panels are 1.8m x 0.65m and are triple glazed so quite heavy.

Sponsored Links
Toe and heal you pack the bottom hinge side then opposite diagonal top corner.
All the weight is on the bottom hinge corner.

Now here is the thing.
With my front and back door I packed every side and it's been fine which I know is wrong.
I could never see how it could sag out of shapes with all sides packed but what do I know

Toe and heal you pack the bottom hinge side then opposite diagonal top corner.
All the weight is on the bottom hinge corner.

Now here is the thing.
With my front and back door I packed every side and it's been fine which I know is wrong.
I could never see how it could sag out of shapes with all sides packed but what do I know
As long as it works.
Did you also use lipped bridge packers ? Something like: https://upvcspares4repairs.co.uk/glass-upvc-bridge-channel-packer-duraflex-everest.html
The manufacturer provided 8 and if I use them, the door beads wont go in. The panel is triple glazed.
Without them the glazing will press against the frame and create a tight seal with the gasket, which I would imagine to be a good thing surely ? Very confused about their utility.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You didn’t mention the type of material but this is for uvpc.
Correct, upvc door. I've already watched that thanks. I'm at the stage of trying to figure out why the manu. gave me 8 lipped bridge packers because with them in place, the beads just won't go in.

Correct, upvc door. I've already watched that thanks. I'm at the stage of trying to figure out why the manu. gave me 8 lipped bridge packers because with them in place, the beads just won't go in.
You may not need all the packers or need to trim to fit .

Packers come in different widths and designs.
I used 22mm wide ones for my 22mm glass from 1mm, 2mm 3mm thickness.
Just strips of plastic.
I rub soap to help get beads in.
Bit of an art to get them in with rubber mallet

Packers come in different widths and designs.
I used 22mm wide ones for my 22mm glass from 1mm, 2mm 3mm thickness.
Just strips of plastic.
I rub soap to help get beads in.
Bit of an art to get them in with rubber mallet
Interesting. The packers they provided me with are 30mm, which seems a bit off for a 38mm unit - although I'm no expert.

Maybe it's the design of your doors/window and it comes with those packers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back