upvc door toe and heel question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Before I install my door I had a quick question regarding the setting blocks and toe and heeling.

As it stands the door (without the glazing panel installed) isn't quite square within the frame presumably because its dropping on the lock side under its own weight.

Now in my head I see the squaring of this being achieved by first jambing the door up (so its square within the plumb frame) on the lock side and then installing the glazed panel. Toe and heeling will brace the door horizontally and stop the door dropping when I remove the jamb.

I haven't found much literature with regards to the setting blocks on the rails within the door frame, but is there an optimal position for these or are they just there to take the inital weight and give you a general position to start toe and heeling from.

As for the toe and heeling; am I right to start packing with the hinge side and then the lock side and then do the bottom and the top. Is there any special way to pick up the lock side purely by adjusting the packers (and hence the weight distribution).

I am planning on packing from the outside as the rebate for the packers are that side. I wouldn't be able to insert them from the inside.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
better :D Let me digest!

edit: that makes sense to me.

Am i ok to install the glazed unit from the outside (eventhough the leaf is on the inside)? My packers will only fit in the rebate from that side so I dont think I'll be able to pack effectively from the inside...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back