French doors opening 180 degrees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to install some french doors into an new extension and have them open outwards onto the side walls so they would have to open 180 degrees. The window firm sdaid they could do this but would potentially mean the frame not covering the cavity gap fully and the this would have to be filled in and plastered. They said that this may affect building regs - is this true? Or am I worrying about nothing and this has been done before?

Sponsored Links
If I understand this correctly, because you wish the doors to open 180deg you need to install them at the front of the opening ie in line with the outer skin? Normally doors/windows would bridge the cavity between the 2 skins and an insulated closer would be installed behind to reduce the cold bridging the gap between the outer and inner leaf. Installing them on the outside as you propose would increase the likelihood of damp problems in the future and yes it would technically compromise building regulations. Any dampness that occurs in the outer skin may well be transmitted to the plasterboard, which will also be colder, hence you will probably get condensation forming too. Best avoided if possible.

ps Just realised you're doing this in a new extension, in that case it will definately not comply with the regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back