French drain without perforated pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I'm laying some new patio concrete slabs, a walk way and a square, the square will be about 2m x 2m.

Around this square I plan to build a French drain, the reason I'm a avid cyclist and this square will be my bike cleaning area and because I commute in London to work the amount of grease/water of a weekly clean especially during the winter is an awful site! My plan is to lay a waterproof Tarpaulin cover before cleaning my bike and hose off the muck into a French drain without any perforated pipes as I have no where to send the water!

Was thinking to dig down to 8cm approx fill with type 1 ballast and pebbles for top layer around the square probably a foot wide.

Q. Would all this muck, water/grease seep well into this drain setup? through pebbles and ballast. If anyone could recommend another option or materials this would be great.

Perforated pipes could be an option I could send pipes underneath fence gravel board onto slip road at rear of house but worried about amount of water after rain? or would there be only a little amount of grease/water?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back