French electrics & regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you know where I can get hold of the French Electrics Regulations - translated into ENGLISH??

Renovation a house in France and French electrician suggested putting the fuse board in large cupboard which I read was ok as long as cupboard is vented BUT when I returned to house he had installed outside cupboard saying due to regulations he was not longer able to put in cupboard. Need to know if this is correct or whether it was just more convenient.

Also need to change kitchen dining lighting from remote sensor switch to dimmer switch which I understand only involves changing the switch at both the wall and fuse board ends. Could you let me know if this is correct as the electrician is telling me that this will be more expensive and involve more wiring??
If there is a French electrician out there who could help or someone who has worked on French electrics more recently...I would be very grateful for your advice.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Do they even have regulations in France??? :D

Our regulations in UK have changed in order to harmonise with EU so I would not expect much difference.

As to dimming you can fit dimming bulbs which require standard switch so why not just fit those. Plus they are energy saving. See Here

Our regulations in UK have changed in order to harmonise with EU so I would not expect much difference.

As to dimming you can fit dimming bulbs which require standard switch so why not just fit those. Plus they are energy saving. See Here

Thanks for your reply.

I've been told that although we have to comply to EU rules - French regs are still different to the UK, which is why I would really like to get hold of a copy, so I can verify the information I'm being given.

So would you say it was ok to put fuse board in cupboard if vented?

I would still prefer to use dimmer switch as it is a kitchen living area which would need max light when cleaning up but more relaxed lighting for evening.

Thanks again for taking the time to write back.

Sponsored Links

Thanks for your reply.

I've been told that although we have to comply to EU rules - French regs are still different to the UK, which is why I would really like to get hold of a copy, so I can verify the information I'm being given.

So would you say it was ok to put fuse board in cupboard if vented?

I would still prefer to use dimmer switch as it is a kitchen living area which would need max light when cleaning up but more relaxed lighting for evening.

Thanks again for taking the time to write back.

Hello again - just checked out the link you sent for dimming bulbs and they sound rather good - will give them a try. Regarding the switch - if it is currently on a sensor relay would I only have to change the switch at the fuse box and wall ends, and not the wiring itself??

Back