Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Take a quick look at the photos below:

20200412_134718.jpg

20200412_134726.jpg

20200412_134740.jpg

As you can see the right hand door wont close and lock properly. In the first photo thats the door fully closed, it closes but i cant lift the handle to lock the door and as you can see at the bottom of the door its not actually closed all the way. I did some reading and watched a few youtube videos to see what the problem may be and it suggested to look at the hinges and with a set of alan keys to try and move the door up but i dont see how thats possible seeing as my doors hinges are fixed to the frame.

Anyone know how to fix this please?

Sponsored Links
Hi Matt, french door hinges are designed like that just in case they drop slightly. They take an awful lot of weight.Simply start from the top hinge with your alan key to move the door ever so slightly. It looks from the picture that the lever lock system isn’t lining up properly with the fixed door. Could also be that the fixed locks on the stay door might have moved. Hope this helps.

the picture of the hinges in ... that probably isnt the actual adjustment screws. , just out of your picture ( on the right ) may be a cover cap that you will need to remove to access the adjustment or when the door is open , look at the inside of the hinges ( between door sash and frame ) there may be a screw that needs removing there , that then release the whole cover cap ( may need to be levered off with a flat bladed screw driver but may also become very loose ). Before adjusting mark where the sash and frame currently touch with a pencil ....this will be the point to move it back to if you adjust it to far to quick, small adjustments are best , top and bottom hinges only , the centre hardly ever moves. As Johnny says it may be the slave that is the issue , not the master door . It could also be that the glass has been fitted incorrectly and needs ' toe and heeling '

A quick check , and quick fix that will certainly determine if its a lock issue , or alignment issue ... try and work the lock with the door open , if it works fine , its an alignment issue , a lift of the door as you close and lock it should get it closed in the interim

Sponsored Links
The adjustment screw in the pic has a small dot marked either side to aid adjustments .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back