Fresh paint flaking on newly plastered wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Been painting the porch after being skimmed. Left it for 2 weeks to dry before mist coating, then approx another 2 weeks before painting properly. Noticed this morning that one wall was flaking at the bottom. I pulled and scraped all the loose paint off which was like pulling off paper. Ive scrapped and sanded the edges of the paint at the point where it was better adhered to the wall. How can I fix this without painting the whole wall again? Really dont want to scrape the whole thing as thats what ended up in me having to get it skimmed in the first place!!

Any products I can buy to seal it better?

See pic....

Sponsored Links
why does the wall look wet at the bottom?

what sort of paint did you use?

Repainted it like an idiot quickly before peeling back the flaking paint as a quick fix. That area was actually reconstructed by the plasterer as the skirting took part of the board off. Took longer than the rest to dry but was dry before painting.

That wall actually has 1 mist and 4 coats of paint. Did 2xwhite which were fine. Maybe I didn't let the coats dry long enough before applying the next??

Paint was b&q colours matt emulsion.

Sponsored Links
Certainly no PVA from me!! I'll check if its final paint later. Problem is that and another wall is that colour and looks good now so really don't want to have to re do it all as its all fin bar that strip.

Are there any products I can paint the edges of the current paint with before re doing the bottom?? I'm worried if I just repaint straight over it will lift the edge of the decent paint and end up flaming again just farther up the wall

Looking at the picture, the plaster seems to touch the floor. If there were any damp near the floor the wall could draw it up causing the problem. You could chop a couple of inches off the bottom back to brick and see if this helps. Im sure your going to put skirting on anyway.

Almost certain youre right Robbie!

I bought some damp paint (unibond stuff) which appears to have done the trick and painted over. Nice contact with the wall now. Problem is im left with a line between the old and new paint (obviously thicker) I did sand the edges prior to painting but it hasnt done enough. This area will be covered but if anyone knows a simple(ish) way to reduce the visibility of the line ill give it a shot!

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back