Fresh Plaster Imperfection Repairs or Smooothing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello one and all...
I have read a number of posts regarding PVA vs Mistcoat vs Cheap Emulsion vs Plaster Paint etc etc.....

My question I hope you can assist with....

I have had my conservatory plastered (now gone pink) I can see a few imperfections and wondered do I mistcoat first or not AND then what do I use to smooth these over????? :eek:

Something thats easy to use and gives a great finsh?????

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Mistcoat with a Trade Matt Emulsion - has no vinyl in it :idea: Then fill with ready mixed Red Devil " One Time " filler . New Plaster Paint from Wickes is basically a no vinyl paint - depends who`s nearer . Them or trade outlet ;)

Never use PVA on new plaster; mist, fill & then paint as Nige F; no vinyl is best but I’ve only used cheap DIY shed white matt emulsion up till now; thin 25-30% - 2/3 coats in quick succession. Might give the Wickes stuff a go though ;) .

You say it’s gone pink but how long has it been on there? A new plaster skim should be left at least 10 days before painting, especially this time of year; & if it’s a skim over a base coat up to 4 weeks. It may look dry but will still have relatively high moisture content & painting too early can lead to problems unless you use a breathable new plaster paint which tends to be expensive.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.
It is a skim over boards. Been drying for 4 weeks now.
I have cheap white emulson from shed that I used as a mist on previous smaller job. Was pleased with the 3-4 coats that had.
Just want to make sure Im filling/ topping up with right stuff.....

Ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back