Freshening up the kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'd like to replace my kitchen worktops, sink and tap. I've been watching YouTube videos and all seems simple enough (famous last words!) But I don't know how to turn my hot water off. Neither of my hot or cold pipes have isolation valves. The only thing I can do is turn the water off that's going to the dishwasher. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20171227_214220.jpg
    20171227_214220.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 134
Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm doing something similar in my kitchen. I turned off the boiler, then isolated the incoming water main at the stopcock. Ie I turned off all the water into the house and this valve was in the corner of the kitchen.

I chose to fit 15mm isolating valves on the tap feeds to make it easier should I ever want to replace the tap again. These were cheap ones from screwfix.

Make sure you fit them so they are high enough to take the new tap flexi hose to the tap.

Are you cutting the worktops with a router? I found the plumbing easy, but I'm a bit scared off messing up the cutting so postponed it for just now...

Graeme

Ah Graeme, well done on your triumph so far. Well there is a large valve near the boiler to turn off the mains water so maybe I'll look around the boiler to see if I can turn the hot water off from there and turn the kitchen tap on to drain the water between the valve and the tap that way. Great south with regards to keeping the valve high for the new taps Flexi hose.
I was planning on using a jigsaw to cut the hole for the sink. But having looked at the plumbing under the sink I'm concerned about how to go about using the existing or replacing the old waste pipes.
Many thanks,
James

Cutting the worktops for hidden corner joints with a router is indeed a tricky thing, the router goes in a jig. That's one job I would entrust to a skilled joiner.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

If it's a combi boiler like mine, it will turn off with the stopcock. It's not getting any feed water so it will stop. If it's hot water in a tank it might be a bit more involved I guess.

I think sink cutouts are ok with a jigsaw as they are hidden under the lip of the sink. I did get some reverse jigsaw blades (that cut on downward stroke) to minimise the worktop surface damage. Check and double check the cutout is smaller than the lip of the sink!

You should seal the worktop edge around the cutout and behind the sink with varnish or waterproof wood glue or foil tape or spray adhesive. All were recommended on here. I have read it's not good enough to rely on the seal between the sink and the worktop as it fails over time and then the worktop blows.

It's the corner joints I'm worried about as they are not easy as Nige mentioned.

Graeme

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back