What have i done wrong.............if anything?

Reaction score
Country
Barbados
Fitting a kitchen at home so needed to fit isolators under the sink, in order to do that i turned the main off which was under the sink too, i ran both hot and cold taps till i assume cold water tank in the loft was empty and also the immersion heater also, my method of thinking was if the mains was off neither would be refilled!

Fitted the valves and turned the water back on, a few airlocks later and the cold is back to normal but why does the hot water (albeit cold till it warms up) run for a few seconds and then just trickle and stop?

What have i done wrong?

Sponsored Links
Definately sounds like an airlock. If you've got a C & H feed to the washing machine then link the cold to the hot & give it a blast for about 5 seconds, keep doing this till you clear the airlock. If dont washing machine connections then a hose from the cold tap to the hot will do the same.

Sponsored Links
Yes i have H & C washer feeds there also, when i connect these together do i need to open any other taps in the house??? :oops: Sorry for sounding thick but i am........and i don't do plumbing :confused:

Yes i have H & C washer feeds there also, when i connect these together do i need to open any other taps in the house??? :oops: Sorry for sounding thick but i am........and i don't do plumbing :confused:

The cold water should push out into the header tank, so no need to open any taps. Don't run it for too long though, otherwise the header tank will overfill.

The cold water should push out into the header tank, so no need to open any taps. Don't run it for too long though, otherwise the header tank will overfill.

Thanks all, i shall give it a go in a bit after a bit of tea.......well takeaway! :D

Right, done that, gave it one blast and then tried the hot taps, after a bit of spluttering they seem to run fine now, i can now sleep tonight :D

Incidentally, does this now mean that my immersion heater is full now? Can i turn the timer back on as i did turn it off before i drained it?

Thanks for your help guys

Yes you can turn the immersion on.
when you turn the water off & drain down the storage tank you never actually drain the hot water tank, the water from the storage tank goes in at the bottom & pushes the hot water out at the top so unless you actually drain it by the drain off valve at the bottom of the cylinder or undo the top connection & put a hose in to syphon it then you will always have a cylinder full of water.

Yes you can turn the immersion on.
when you turn the water off & drain down the storage tank you never actually drain the hot water tank, the water from the storage tank goes in at the bottom & pushes the hot water out at the top so unless you actually drain it by the drain off valve at the bottom of the cylinder or undo the top connection & put a hose in to syphon it then you will always have a cylinder full of water.

Ahh right oh i get you, it all becomes clear now! :D

Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back