A little confused about turning the hot water off..

That's a weird one as you have what seems to be a new drain point soldered onto another old drain point there. They can get blocked by sediment/sludge, get a piece of wire say from a length of 2+e cable and see if you can clear it.

Only other way is to unscrew the newer drain valve all the way out and back in again if that is the one that's blocked, just be careful though as you may have a lot of water when the blockage frees up. The outside, knurled ring will unscrew allowing the centre valve to be fully removed.

Sponsored Links
That's a weird one as you have what seems to be a new drain point soldered onto another old drain point there. They can get blocked by sediment/sludge, get a piece of wire say from a length of 2+e cable and see if you can clear it.

Only other way is to unscrew the newer drain valve all the way out and back in again if that is the one that's blocked, just be careful though as you may have a lot of water when the blockage frees up. The outside, knurled ring will unscrew allowing the centre valve to be fully removed.

Thanks Rob, ended up unscrewing the expansion nut at the top and syphoning the water out.

Thanks for everyone else's help too - managed to fit the cold water feed to the pump, the essex flange to the cylinder, all pipework, and now we have a fully functioning shower pump (currently only linked up to the bath)!

My only complaint would be that i'm a little disappointed with the pressure, perhaps I should have got a 3 bar pump rather than 1.8...oh well, it's better than nothing at all! :)

Glad to hear that you sorted it :)

Expansion nut? not sure what you mean but anyways good you have the essex flange in.
1.8 bar ... you should get a pretty good shower out of that, are there any flexi pipes or small bore iso valves in the line anywhere that could be restricting the flow?

Glad to hear that you sorted it :)

Expansion nut? not sure what you mean but anyways good you have the essex flange in.
1.8 bar ... you should get a pretty good shower out of that, are there any flexi pipes or small bore iso valves in the line anywhere that could be restricting the flow?

Haha, I meant the nut at the top where the expansion pipe comes out ;)

The pressure is OK, and nothing to grumble about if you didn't know there was a pump fitted, but can't call it powerful, just average I guess.

I've used 22mm pipe and full bore valves everywhere to and from the pump, except where the pipework enters/leaves the pump where there are the 15mm flexi hoses supplied with the pump (why do they do that but insist on 22mm pipework everywhere else??). Ah, there are also some 15mm flexi hoses where the pipework meets the bath mixer tap..

There are also 4 or 5 elbow bends between the pump and the bath.

Would any of that be noticeably restricting the flow?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
If they are standard 15mm flexi pipes then they can narrow anywhere to 10mm within the flexi.
That being said, 1.8bar isn't exactly going to strip the skin off you like a 3 bar cld :p

15mm pipes to the bath mixer tho? Is the bath mixer not normal 22mm > 3/4 BSP inlets? The ideal would to have 22mm right to the tap to maximise flow.

15mm pipes to the bath mixer tho? Is the bath mixer not normal 22mm > 3/4 BSP inlets? The ideal would to have 22mm right to the tap to maximise flow.

Hmm, i'll double check the flexi hoses, i did have to buy some others cos i drilled through the ones that were provided! So maybe I got 15mm > 3/4BSP instead. I've definitely had to reduce to 15mm where the pipework meets the flexi hoses though

It's all down to what the bath tap accepts really, are they 15mm to say 10/12mm tails that screw into a monobloc mixer tap or a 15mm>3/4" seperate inlet mixer? A pic showing inlets or make of tap would be helpful.

So after all that work it really comes down to the flow rate that a 10mm pipe can handle at max throughput.

There are rather complicated calculations about pressure/friction/nominal flowrate to minimise pipe noise etc when it comes to systems sizing and to ensure suitable flow at every outlet but suffice it to say a 10mm pipe feeding a bath tap may flow less per min than say a 22mm would.

Fair enough, it is only the bath and it'll do quite honestly. The main thing is that the shower we're installing soon is OK, but i'm quite sure that has 3/4" inlets so should be fine, hopefully!

Thanks again for all your help and time :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back