how do i turn off the hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i need to turn off the hot water so i can change the mixer tap in the kitchen.Problem is there is no gate valve to turn off on the hotwater cylinder can i turn off the mains and open the hot taps to empty the tank? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
You'll be there all day if you do - thats a lot of water!

There should be a valve at the bottom of the tank, or at the cylinder inlet. Once these are closed, then you can let the water drain out.

No, it won't take that long.

Shut off the mains, and turn all the hot taps on until they stop flowing. You only have to drain out what's in the cold tank in loft. One that's empty, the water in the cylinder isn't going anywhere. Much quicker than faffing about draining down.

10 mins max. ;)

P.S. As you have gravity/low pressure hot water, make sure that the new tap is suitable for this. Some ceramic disc monobloc mixers are useless.

Sponsored Links
If your cold taps come from the tank in loft you can use them to empty it, avoids wasting all your hot water

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back