How to turn off hot water to one basin only?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm fitting a new hand basin in the downstairs bathroom, but there is no cut off valve to the hot water tap (i.e. there is no valve on the pipe).

How do I turn off the hot water?

Will I have the turn off the HW to the whole house? If so, this will mean emptying the cylinder.

Thanks for your help.
Tom

Sponsored Links
Under the 1999 Water Regs all taps and ball valves should be fitted with isolating valves!

You should be able to turn off the water at a valve where it leaves the cold water storage cistern.

Tony

Thanks Tony

So would that be the valve at the base of the cylinder? And I expect I'll need to run all hot taps to clear the tank?

If I do clear the tank of hot water, will any sludge then be released into the rads when i re-fill the cylinder?

I said at the cold water cistern, usually in the loft !

Sometimes there is also a valve on the cold feed by the cylinder.

After the water in the pipes has run out the cylinder will stay full but no water will flow out.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Water comes out of the top of the hot cylinder.

Tony

A wee bit of confusion here, Tom.....
Turn the water off at the main house stopcock (prevents the loft tank from refilling) and run off the hot water until the supply to your particular tap stops.....then cut the pipe and fit a quality isolating valve. Then turn the house supply back on, and the tank will refill. Check all hot taps for possible airlocks afterwards!
There's no connection between the hot water in the copper cylinder and the radiator circuit.
John :)

Thanks to you both.

John, do you mean turn off the water mains under the kitchen sink?

Thanks
Tom

A wee bit of confusion here, Tom.....
Turn the water off at the main house stopcock (prevents the loft tank from refilling) and run off the hot water until the supply to your particular tap stops.....then cut the pipe and fit a quality isolating valve. Then turn the house supply back on, and the tank will refill. Check all hot taps for possible airlocks afterwards!
There's no connection between the hot water in the copper cylinder and the radiator circuit.

don't turn the main supply off and drain the tank, that will waste 25/50 gallons of water, as agile said, isolate the water where it LEAVES the loft tank, either in the loft or at the pipe where it enters the bottom of the cylinder, turn on the hot tap the water will stop right away, cut the pipe to the whb and fit an isolator to the pipe then turn the hot water back on to the rest of the house

Indeed, my method will waste a good few gallons of water. However, all can depend on a) Finding any valves that feed the copper cylinder from the loft tank b) trusting that you can actually turn them c) hoping that they wont leak afterwards.
One of the surest ways is to tie up the ball valve in the tank...that gets a lot of use so it will be working. Again, there will be a waste of water.
Its up to you, really!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back