sink removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - hoping this is an easy one for someone. I'd like to replace the sink in our downstairs toilet. But neither the hot / cold pipes have an isolator valve.

For the cold pipe it's easy enough to just turn the water off in the house before cutting the pipe and capping it. But for the hot water is my only option to drain the hot water tank completely as well?

Obviously when the new sink is fitted isolator valves will be fitted at the same time.

Thanks - J.

Sponsored Links
Try looking for a gate valve in the airing cupboard first. look for the pipe that comes down from the cold storage tank and enters the cylinder at the bottom. The valve should be somewhere on this pipe. Chances are though that it will be stuck so don't force it too much. If this is the case, buy a rubber bung from a plumbers merchant and plug the hole in the cold tank in the loft (this will save you draining the whole tank). You can of course drain the whole tank. When re-filling make sure that the ball valve goes back into position. When fitting the new basin/taps, fit full bore isolation valves.

do you have a red "wheel" type valve by the tank? if so try turning it off. that will stop the hot water cylinder filling. or alternately (and the favourite method) is to get in the loft to the supply tank and plug the outlet to the cylinder creating an airlock. I say favourite because the valve by the cylinder either will not turn off or will seize in the shut position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back