Isolating Water To Remove Bathtub/Sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Complete noob at this, just started to research about how central heating systems work and plumbing so please bare with me.

We are in the process of buying our first home and the bathroom needs changing, both the sink and the bath unit need taking out, plus tiling needs to be removed, I was going to do this to assist my builder and speed up the job until the point of when he has the time free to do the job.

So as far as I'm aware we have a glowworm condensing boiler and an airing cupboard with an immersion tank.

If I wanted to isolate both the cold and hot water supplies, would I be right in saying that I would turn off the mains supply and simply run the cold taps throughout the house to remove cold water from the system, then for the hot, isolate this from the pipe that comes from the bottom of the immersion tank and run the hot water until no water runs from the taps at all.

Then I'm free to remove both sink and bath. When done I have to fit the cold and hot water supplies in the bathroom with either push fit end caps (forget the name of them?) or screw fit caps.

Then I will be free to turn the water back on both hot and cold and I can still use the toilet and other sinks in the house?

Sounds like it will go smoothly, but is there any tips, for instance will the hot water work, will there be an air lock, do I have the mess with the cold water tank in the loft (heard about putting a board across it to stop it filling etc...)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back