Isolate Water

2 choices, either try the gate valve you might drop lucky,or turn off at the mains and drain CWSC, you will have to do this anyway if you want to isolate the cold and if your going to fit an isolation valve to isolate the CWSC.

Sponsored Links
2 choices, either try the gate valve you might drop lucky,or turn off at the mains and drain CWSC, you will have to do this anyway if you want to isolate the cold and if your going to fit an isolation valve to isolate the CWSC.

Hi thanks, what is CWSC? I got Cold Water from it!

(Cold water storage cistern), the big tank that supplies your hot water cylinder.

Thought that would be what you are referring to!

So the process is:

Turn mains water off

Try gate valve on pipe that connects to bottom of hot water cylinder, run all hot taps, if water stops it has been successful if not:

Run all hot taps until no water exists i.e. drain the cold water cistern.

Is this correct? Also do I need to turn boiler off? wouldnt want it trying to heat a cylinder that has no water in it? any other precautions?

Sponsored Links
Yes that's pretty much what you need to do.
The cylinder will still be full of water it will only be the CWSC that empty's.
No need to turn boiler off.
You could also fit an isolation valve to the mains feed into the CWSC if you wanted.

Yes that's pretty much what you need to do.
The cylinder will still be full of water it will only be the CWSC that empty's.
No need to turn boiler off.
You could also fit an isolation valve to the mains feed into the CWSC if you wanted.

Brilliant thanks, so would an isolation valve on it's own be enough to hold back the water when both hot and cold pipes are exposed after the sink has been removed? or would it be advisable to fit an isolation, then the original taps or a stopper on a bit of pipe after the valve if it failed?

An isolation valve would be sufficient as long as nobody tampers with it but if it makes you feel more comfortable push fit end stops would be a good back up aswell as the valves.

An isolation valve would be sufficient as long as nobody tampers with it but if it makes you feel more comfortable push fit end stops would be a good back up aswell as the valves.

Excellent thanks.

If we then want to turn water Back on you turn gate valve back and then turn water on and that's it?

What's the procedure for opening the taps?

Turn the gate valve back on then the water.
If your going to drain the tank there's no need to touch the gate valve at all.

Last q is there a process with the taps to drain water? Best to open both upstairs and downstairs??

Opening the downstairs taps should drain the upstairs as well,but I would open the upstairs taps as well just incase they are independently fed from the cold water tank or hot water cylinder.

excellent many thanks for all the advice! you have been very helpful (well most of you!) wish me luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back