Fridge freezer compressor overheating.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all looking for a little advice if possible.

We have a hotpoint ffa47x fridge freezer and the temperature alarm has started sounding,have tried resetting it but only lasts so long then alarm sets off again.

I pulled the fridge out this morning and noticed the compressor and one of the feed pipes is so warm i cannot even touch it.

Have just finished reinstating a house which was destroyed by a fire caused by a freezer in the garage overheating :eek: .

Have switched off till advised otherwise.

Any advice as to the possible cause greatly received. :D

BTW called service engineers...apparently they hibernate at the weekend.

Sponsored Links
A very common problem with frost-free freezers is that the air ducts inside the back wall become choked with ice, and this prevents the fan blowing cold air through. To melt it all out you need to leave it, switched off, for a couple of days, until water has stopped dripping into the cabinet or into the collecting dish round the back on top of the motor. It is vital to leave it defrosting long enough for all the ice to melt and be cleaned away. Verify that the drain tubes into the dish are not clogged with dirt, mould or fluff, and clean out the dish (do not allow the water to overflow onto any electrical part)

If that cures it, wait and see how long it runs successfully. If it gets choked again within a few months then there may be a fault in the defrost heating element or thermostat control that needs repair, but if it works OK for several years you may be happy to give it an occasional manual defrost.

Excess frost is commonly caused by the door accidentally being left open.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, i will follow your advice and let you know the outcome.

Heres hoping. :D

update, left the fridge freezer switched off for 5 days, switched on and still the same.
Called engineer (£40 call out fee). diagnosed corroded pipe and gas leak..£400 to repair pipe and re-gas :confused:

Would have expected a fridge which cost over a grand to last more than 5 years.. :cry:

Should have phoned hotpoint. Parts and labour £105.00 all in.

I seen the adds for these hotpoint fixed price repair companies. i filled the online forms in and got as far as the up front debit/ credit card payment and decided to read the reviews first before submitting.

Glad i did.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back