New vs old Hotpoint Fridge Freezer compressor running more often

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a new Hotpoint Fridge freezer, which replaced a 14 year old one which we had from new. Both frost free too.

The new one works fine, and have even measured temperatures with thermometers inside to check it reaches the fridge and freezer temperatures it's set to (4 and -18) and it does hover around 2 to 5 in the fridge, and -18 to -21 in the freezer.

The compressor, however is on more often than not. It appears so far as I can find that newer fridge freezers do this. Can anyone confirm this? I don't believe it is an inverter compressor, it's a rather ordinary spec, again like our old one. Has anyone else noticed this with their new fridge freezers, compared to their old?

It does go off, but most of the time it is going.

Hotpoint can only advise with an engineer visit, and if no fault is found, there is a bill to be paid!

Sponsored Links
Is it's electricity consumption excessive? If the power consumption is right and it's staying cold properly I'd say you might be looking for a problem that isn't there.

Nothing excessive in terms of electricity consumption. It just seems a step backward to have a 'new' version of something that makes noise for longer than the item it replaced.

Sponsored Links
Nothing excessive in terms of electricity consumption. It just seems a step backward to have a 'new' version of something that makes noise for longer than the item it replaced.
maybe its an improvement
long time inactive means internal temperature will vary far more
assuming 1/3-2/3 run then off time all the heat gained over 40 mins has to be removed in 20 mins with a larger capacity cooling coil and motor[or what ever they use now]

reduce it by a third less materials used it will run more often and perhaps better control with less temperature swing

now fully a guess but could be more efficient over all ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back