Fridge Freezer Frozen Puddle in Freezer Section

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the bottom of the freezer section, keep finding a puddle of frozen water.
I scrape it out, only to find another puddle there the next day. Been going on for a couple of weeks now.
Any ideas what th issue could be?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Blocked drainage hole?
Where would this be?
Can't see any holes in the freezer section unless it's behind the screwed down rear panel.
There are drainage holes in upper fridge section though. Could that affect things or are these compartments completely separate?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's a frost free freezer, there is probably a duct choked with ice. As this is hidden inside the back, it takes a long time to melt out.

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Take the back plate off the inside of the freezer, its probably full of ice and its heater cant recover it.
I had this with an old bosch freezer... made some lovely cracking sounds as the heater tried to defrost....replaced it in the end.

• Thanks
That would make sense as it does make crackling noises. Will take off that back inner plate and defrost. Makes sense.

That would make sense as it does make crackling noises. Will take off that back inner plate and defrost. Makes sense.

If it is locked in place with ice, don't force it. Leave it turned off with the door open until it stops dripping, inside, and also round the back into the evaporation dish (if visible). Clean out the dish and pipes

• Thanks
Get a hairdryer on it. Either someone left the door open and it iced up and cant recover or the freezer is on its way out.

• Thanks
Find drip tray near pump. Go look around back of freezer for plastic tray. It's where water drips then evaporates. Push something up drip hole and see where it comes out inside..I have to clear ours every few months.

Pump kicks in and out causing water to form. Also warn air when you open door causes water to run down back to the drip tray.
Ours is around pump which gets hot causing water to evaporate

Hole in fridge as well like

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Find drip tray near pump. Go look around back of freezer for plastic tray. It's where water drips then evaporates. Push something up drip hole and see where it comes out inside..I have to clear ours every few months.

Pump kicks in and out causing water to form. Also warn air when you open door causes water to run down back to the drip tray.
Ours is around pump which gets hot causing water to evaporate

Hole in fridge as well like
What sometimes happens is a little bit of food or wet cardboard gets into the hole, then as it rots bacteria and mould take hold and the hole gets blocked (that's why they can be a dark colour), on certain types of fridge there are little plastic strips on the back of the shelves and these can easily fall off and people tend to leave them off but not realising that they're designed to stop any food etc touching the back of the fridge, minimising the chances of stuff ending up in the hole and allowing air to circulate properly.

• Thanks
Quick reply to you all. Managed to clear the drain plug at the back above the tray. Works a treat now for well over a week without any issues. Previously, I was clearing out ice every day. Many thanks!

Quick reply to you all. Managed to clear the drain plug at the back above the tray. Works a treat now for well over a week without any issues. Previously, I was clearing out ice every day. Many thanks!
Actually, spoke too soon. Got the same problem a few weeks later.
Have given the thing a clean out again but this time a massive defrost.
If I start getting issues again I guess it's new fridge freezer time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back