Fridge Freezer in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought a Fridge Freezer for locating in my garage. It is the single thermostat type. Unless I have the temperature control set to max, the freezer does not freeze. However, on this setting, the fridge section freezes as well.

I have now read that single thermostat units are not suitable for outside buildings, as in cold weather (like now) the thermostat shuts off due to the outside temperature being lower than that of the fridge and this shuts off the freezer compartment as well, although this is not yet down to temperature. Is this correct? If so, short of moving the unit indoors, is there any other way round this problem? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
This is a common problem. Where there is only one thermostat for both the fridge and freezer, it is located in the fridge. If the appliance is in an unheated garage and the ambient temperature is low, this can mean that the fridge is at its operating temperature or close to it, so the compressor will only run occasionally or not at all, so it doesn't cool the freezer compartment sufficiently to freeze.

The instruction manual should give you the range in which the appliance should be operated. Most are calibrated to be room temperature IE 15 degrees C or more.

So you really need to either, heat your garage to its operating temperature range, move the appliance indoors, or sell it on ebay and buy either a separate fridge and freezer, or one with dual thermostats.

Or try throwing an old duvet over it, without covering the back or blocking ventilation.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, had wondered about covering it, I'll give a try. For Christmas, my wife wants the freezer more than the fridge so at the moment we have got the control set high. This is keeping freezer section at temperature and we have put the fridge stuff in a box in the garage as the outside temperature is barely going above 4 degrees at the moment. Will have to consider something more suitable in the new year though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back