Fridge Led Bulb Staying Lit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all...iv'e just changed all our house bulbs to Leds including the fridge freezer bulb.
Just noticed that the fridge led bulb stays on even with door closed,so put the old bulb back in
and noticed it glows dimly which is apparently normal.so why does the led bulb stay at full brightness?

Sponsored Links
It uses so little current, my fridge is LED lit and no way to change the units without massive dismantling of the fridge, if the blow, it's just hard luck, have to do without fridge lights.

But fridge light is on for such a short time, no point fitting LED, hope you have not changed oven light, it is unlikely to survive at oven temperatures.

Not all bulbs are the same, some are rather simple, but the big problem is there is nothing on the bulbs to say what is inside them. Two G9 bulbs G9-comp.jpgthere is a smoothing capacitor inside the larger bulb which stops any flicker which is nearly as big as the smaller bulb, all we can do is suck it and see.

Yeh but how do you know its still lit?

Tried checking mine once, every time I opened the door it was on!

Sponsored Links
It may not be possible to replace the filament lamp in your fridge with an LED one.

Sometimes the lamp has other purposes beside illuminating the inside of the cabinet. For example, on some designs the lamp is run in series with the defrost heater on the defrost cycle (hence why it appears to be a half brightness when the door is closed). By replacing the lamp with LED you may well have other effects on the operation of the fridge.

The lamp in fridge uses so little power & costs so little to run I doubt you'd ever get your money back anyway!

My advice - put it back the way it was & forget it :)

My mother kept candles in the fridge .... if there was a power cut & the lights went out.... she'd be able to find them in the fridge 'cos the light comes on when you open the door ;)
And the matches as well I imagine?

It may not be possible to replace the filament lamp in your fridge with an LED one.

Sometimes the lamp has other purposes beside illuminating the inside of the cabinet. For example, on some designs the lamp is run in series with the defrost heater on the defrost cycle (hence why it appears to be a half brightness when the door is closed). By replacing the lamp with LED you may well have other effects on the operation of the fridge.

The lamp in fridge uses so little power & costs so little to run I doubt you'd ever get your money back anyway!

My advice - put it back the way it was & forget it :)
Well my daughter purchased a fairly big fridge freezer on 18th December 2020 and when the seal broke up last week we could see the LED as on.
On 16th Dec she phoned for a warranty repair, engineer arrived with full set of seals and computer board, it transpires there is a hall effect sensor as an input to the control chip and the light is controlled by an output.

Oh well that's progress for us.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back