Friendly advice / guidance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After having a family war this evening about this subject, I thought I'd bring it to the forum for some advice.

I currently have nowhere to live after a horrendous split. I own a house but my sister is living in the house with her partner (paying my mortgage). I can't afford to live on my own, had to take on debt in the divorce to keep the house. I am trying to play the long game.

Now, house had an outbuilding, 20ft x 10ft. Nice, single brick but has been battened, partly insulated & plastered, carpeted & has patio doors, pitched felt roof etc. Has electrics & a consumer unit of its own run from the main house. In its current state I could happily live in there, however there is no running water - no shower or loo to use! Putting a bathroom in there would make the current space too small to live in (bedroom, living & kitchen space).

My initial thought was to build a small extension of the same build type, approx 10ft x 10ft for a simple bathroom. Then have the main building as a studio flat type setup. I can then live in there (rent free) for 2-3 years, pay off the divorce debt, before kicking my sister out & moving back into the main house. As my sister is saving for a wedding, I did think stay until she wants to move into her own house & overpay some of the mortgage. Obviously these are possibly ideas for the future.

I understand it will cost money in the short term (which I don't have tons of, but some) to supply water & make some space for a bathroom, however playing the long game (again) that would essentially create a self-contained annex/granny flat which could have multiple uses which could prove fruitful in the future.

I want to get as hands on myself to reduce costs. I'm eager to learn. I'm unsure as to how to begin, what to do first, what order to approach things in etc. I'd love for this to be completed by March.

Doing as much myself as possible, what would a ballpark cost be? For mainly just materials? For the same build type? I have a couple of friends of friends which may be able to help with bricklaying.

I look forward to hearing views on this & taking some advice on where to begin. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean add an extension to the outbuilding? Or add an extension to the main house? You are unlikely to get planning permission if the planners get wind you intend to create a self sufficient dwelling.

Do you mean add an extension to the outbuilding? Or add an extension to the main house? You are unlikely to get planning permission if the planners get wind you intend to create a self sufficient dwelling.

I'm looking to increase the size of the building by approx. 10ft so it has bathroom facilities.

Planning actually states that as long as it is occupied by guests or family of the main house it is actually fine. So given the main house is mine, my sister is living in the main house, me using the annex is fine in terms of planning as it is 'incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling house'. If let privately it would be classed as 'independent use' in which you are right, it would be a problem. Obviously in the future, should I want to let it, I would ask for permission first.

The only other planning consideration is size, but as long as it's not more than 50% of the garden (which it isn't) that's also ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back