Creating a space inside a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have a plan to build a small 'room' inside my existing double garage. This room will be for me and my little lad to create a model railway layout.

There are 2 reason's why I wanted to create a room inside the existing garage, 1 - Creates a self contained space which will be easier to warm up in the winter 2 - Should help keep the damp and cold out from the electric railway engines.

I was planning on creating a 10ft x 10ft space using a stud wall system with insultation between the stud to act as a thermal barrier to keep the cold out of the room and the heat in when we are in there.

Any tips or pages I can look at to give me some ideas. Do I need to damp proof the garage floor, which at the moment is concrete.

cheers guys, thank you.

Sponsored Links
I did the same thing about 5 years ago to create an office. I used 65mm thermal laminate plasterboard screwed directly to the brick walls. On the floor, lay down 100mm jablite polystyrene, place a 1200 gauge vapour barrier over the top and finish with 22mm t&g chipboard flooring. It will be as solid as a rock.

Edit: of course, technically you need building regs for this.

If it is a garage with a sheet roof, you will lose an amazing amount of heat through it, so think about insulating the ceiling too.

I'd always go for non-flammable materials like plasterboard rather than ply, as well.

Sponsored Links
John,

The garage is of brick and block construction with a concrete floor. The roof is tiled and lined with some kind of liner and then roof beams.

My plan was to build a square box stud wall inside the garage of approximately 10ft square with a flat roof on the top. All the stud walls and the roof section will be insulated to keep the area as warm as possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back