Insulating a garage - what are my options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have a week off work next week and I was hoping to make a start on converting part of our garage into a bit of a play room/studio/temporary WFH office.

We have a detached, mid 70's build garage, that at some point has been extended by 4 metres in length and what would have been the back wall removed, to effectively give us a garage and a half worth of space. The extension bit has been used as a bit of a workshop by me and has an aluminium window and old uPVC door giving access to the side of the garage.

I would like to convert the extension bit (about 3.8m x 2.7m) into a play room/studio for music and art stuff, but would like some advice on the best way to go about insulating it and making sure any damp issues that may occur don't impact the room.

I was planning on using the room within a room type approach where I would build stud walls that sit a couple of cm away from the wall, have a vapour barrier in between the stud and brick, add insulation inside the stud wall and then board over the walls with 11mm OSB where I can then re-run the existing cable setup inside trunking - there are 4 double sockets, a 2 way light switch and 2 strip lights in this area.

For the ceiling (which isn't massively high at around 2.3m) i was planning on putting insulation between the existing joists and then boarding over. I have already put 22mm OSB on top here and installed an EPDM roof covering a few years ago.

Because I haven't got a huge amount of height to play with, I was planning on putting a damp proof membrane on the floor (and running it up the walls for about 300mm), putting the stud walls on top of this and then for the floor itself I was going to lay some thin insulation/polystyrene sheeting on the floor and then adding a laminate type floor. The whole of the garage floor is screed concrete of some thickness, and the garage has a damp proof course running above this level.

Is this a sensible approach or is there a better way? I know the insulation isn't going to warm the room itself but will go a long way towards keeping the heat inside when it is in use (Will be adding a small heater).

I was planning on using 4x2 studwork and 100mm insulation, but after reading around the benefits of that, over say 50mm insulation isn't twice as effective just because it's twice as thick, and that I could keep a bit more space by using 50mm studwork.

Also, when talking about vapour barrier, is this the same stuff roofers use and that you can pickup from one of the sheds?

Any advice would be great thanks,
Jim

Sponsored Links
After looking around at lots of different resources I've decided to look into screwing 2x1 batten onto the walls, then fixing 50mm celotex to the battens, then vapour layer and then 11mm OSB as the top finish.

I've seen different approaches to the batten technique with the insulation directly on the wall, then battens then vapour layer then OSB meaning the small 25mm cavity is between the insulation and the vapour layer/OSB - what are the differences between doing it this way rather than having batten/insulation/vapour layer/OSB - is there more chance of condensation or moisture build up with any of them?

Have put an image together to try and explain what I mean...

Wall-Insulation.png

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back