From UAE to UK, Electric appliance voltage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys... I hope if you can help me with this.
My friend is moving from the United Arab Emirates[Dubai] to the UK. And he got many home electrical appliances. Some friends advised him to by somthing called Convertor because the voltage is different.

That guy who advised him lived in Canada.

So is it correct that the voltage different from UAE and what would he do?

Sponsored Links

Thanks mate for the info. it was NOT hard to find the world voltage!!! but to know how accurate are the info in those websites is the hard thing cos they might be old info or simply not correct. that is why i asked for experts say here!!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
but to know how accurate are the info in those websites is the hard thing cos they might be old info or simply not correct.
Wrong?

They might be.

But there are millions of them, and if you get the same info over and over again it's pretty unlikely to be wrong.

Out of date?

Voltage & frequency changes are rare, as they are so disruptive.

Best advice is to look at the appliances themselves. Any decent appliance should have it's operating voltage printed on a rating plate somewhere.

Best advice is to look at the appliances themselves. Any decent appliance should have it's operating voltage printed on a rating plate somewhere.

I would agree. I worked in Algeria and I came across a host of different voltages from 240/220 to three phase 110 (line to neutral) and auto transformers to step up from the 190v phase to phase to 220v.

Main thing is:-
That guy who advised him lived in Canada.
And that guy would have 110v at home so if he needed a converter then likely you will not!

if you get the same info over and over again it's pretty unlikely to be wrong.
The trouble is getting this info from good sources is a lot of work (requires experiance on the ground from a lot of countries and/or the ability to read standards in multiple languages. Therefore I strongly suspect a lot of the sites are just copying each other.

I've done a lot of work in Saudi, UAE, Bahrain, Oman etc

All have had strong influences from Western Europeans in the past (UK, France, etc) and use 220/230v 50Hz for most domestic stuff.

So your friend should only need to load up with some UK plugs and fuses.

Ive just come home from 2 weeks working in Dubai

UK plugs and 220volts 50hz, so your friend will need no convertors or new plugs

Was nice not to have to swap plugs while I was there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back