Freestanding Cooker 'installed' by Currys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This actually concerns a friend of mine, who ordered a free-standing electric cooker from Currys and paid for the delivery, install and removal of old appliance. When the delivery men arrived they would not disconnect the old appliance or connect the new appliance, because they wanted to do a Ze test on my friends installation before continuing and his meter & DNO connection are in a locked cupboard in the council block he lives in.

Madness since they are replacing like for like and also since the whole flat was re-wired and certified in 2010.

All sorted now since he got an electrician to do the connection, but it did leave him quite anxious as he was expecting all the work to be done by Currys.

I am advising him to write to Currys and complain - he paid for an installation and recycling of old appliance which hasn't happened. What are the actual regulations regarding replacement of large appliances like this, especially when its a like for like situation?

Thanks,

Seth

Sponsored Links
they would not disconnect the old appliance or connect the new appliance, because they wanted to do a Ze test on my friends installation before continuing and his meter & DNO connection are in a locked cupboard in the council block he lives in.
Firstly a Ze test cannot really be done from the meter or cut-out (DNO connection)
Edit - It can be but not without doing things they should not.

It requires the removal of the (main/only) Earthing Conductor form the consumer unit or earth block nearby.
I do not know if Curry's (or any other store's) Man is a 'proper' electrician but I would not think the lorry driver would be suitably knowledgeable to do this.
Apologies if an electrician is sent separately.

A Zs test could be done at the consumer unit or at the appliance.
If only done at the CU this would not reveal a fault in the cooker circuit.

Madness since they are replacing like for like and also since the whole flat was re-wired and certified in 2010.
To be fair that doesn't make any difference.

What are the actual regulations regarding replacement of large appliances like this, especially when its a like for like situation?
The circuit should be properly tested to ensure it is safe to use and I would issue a certificate recording all the relevant details.

Just to say that these companies do not seem to do anything that is not strictly straightforward.
Anything out of the ordinary and they're off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back