Frongt garden fencing ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'm looking for ideas for a boundary wall/fence between our front drive and the neighbours, fence would be maybe 18 feet long. We're clear on the boundary and wall/fence would only need to be about 3ft high, more of a boundary claim than due to any security concerns. At the moment we have nowt, just a foot wide piece of grass so looks messy and unfinished.

Ideally I'd like a brick wall but as I don't really have the time or skills to build one cost might rule this out. Another option might be concrete posts, gravel boards and some sort of wooden panels, these I could install..

Unless anyone has any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Ive just put up a 3 - 4 ft fence usung 5ft concrete H posts and fencing inbetween. It looks quite good and very easy to do. I even made the H post myself with some moulds I bought. Cost about £45 in total.

Have a look at what your neighbours have done, try and reflect what is already around you.

Concrete posts are unsightly at the best of times, and seen more at the front of a property.

If it is not req'd for security can't you go for something more subtle, maybe a natural hedge. If not do a search on the net for fencing, there's loads. Again, choose a panel that is similar to those around you; i.e. don't choose one with arches on top if there are no arches anywhere to be seen.

Sponsored Links
concrete posts can be perfectly attractive, and they last very much better than timber posts. It is very annoying to dig a lump of concrete out of the ground because a wooden post has rotted.

If you want, you can paint them with dark brown masonry paint to blend in with the woodstain on the timber.

I have done post and rail with it, and closeboard fencing.

btw concrete gravel boards will extend the life of your new fence greatly.

Ignore Thermo

View media item 975
View media item 979

I agree with JohnD - many years ago I was staining my fence and decided to paint the concrete posts as well. They really do blend in well, they're a bit faded now but still better than seeing steely grey concrete. Obviously masonary paint is the one to use.

I personally don't think you can beat a picket fence. I painted mine white and planted an evergreen hedge behind it. I got a lot of admiring comments from neighbours. All the walls around here get sat on or kicked down by bored teenagers. My fence is still standing and looks beautiful, albeit maybe needing a new coat of paint now.

Don't wanna highjack this post ( :p ) but I have to agree with JohnD's well known nemesis and advise never to use concrete for posts.

You can paint them, stain them or disguise them anyway you want but they remain what they are.... concrete posts. Acceptable for municipal tip fencing and surrounding travellers sites but keep them out of your garden.

They look awful.

TT

they look fine, and, most importantly, they don't rot

any DIYer who has just had to dig a huge lump of concrete out where a post has rotted will agree with me.

If you don't want to paint the concrete posts then box it in with matching fence materials, got the best of both world ;)

masona5.jpg

Some LA's might insist on a 'see-through' fence in the front garden.
GALLERY]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back