Front door contacts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just replaced my front door. The old door had square edges, so no problem fitting door contacts, but on the new one the internal corner is chamfered. The door edge where it meets the frame is only 5mm which is much smaller than the switches I've found, so whats the best solution? I had thought of putting a PIR in instead, but I see it's not recommended for an entry/exit door.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I assume you mean a PVC door and surface contact ? Can you take a pic of the door for us ? It'll make it easier to help you

Yes that's correct, sorry.

Will a drawing do for now. This is the profile of the door.

door.gif

Thanks

surface contact will work fine

tip.

before you drill the door piut a meter on the contact and hold it in position to get it right, or stick it with blue tac (just to test you understnad)

Sponsored Links
frankman said:
Yes that's correct, sorry.

Will a drawing do for now. This is the profile of the door.

door.gif

Thanks

Take a squint at the new surface mounted contacts that you bought (Well its a new door lets go mad) some have lil arrows showing you which are the active faces of the contact.... The vast majority of contacts have two active faces..... so you can switch them around to make them fit ......

Why the door manufacturers don't build em in to doors is beyond me ....... Mind you so is Thermodynamics ;)

John M said:
Why the door manufacturers don't build em in to doors is beyond me

simple, cost.

and does it have resistors, if so what value? how will you get to it whn it gives up,etc etc............

breezer said:
John M said:
Why the door manufacturers don't build em in to doors is beyond me

simple, cost.

Well they have tick boxes...... Color: White Brown White & brown ...... They could add one for contacts ....... Ya see ? No ahh well ............. Alarm installers are a canne crowd :LOL:

Thanks everyone. I mistakenly believed that the faces of the contacts had to touch. Having tested them it seems to work ok if i put one on the angled edge of the door and the other flat on the frame.

There's a single arrow on each but it doesn't seem to matter which way they point ... and yes I did buy new ones, to hell with the expense :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back