Front door fensa question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, guys i have a self employed window fitter who has fitted my windows in my new extension along with a back door. These are covered because the Building control inspector was involved with approving the extension.

I have purchased a composite front door from B and Q and i was planning to fit this myself, i understand you have to make an appliaction to building control for this, which is fine. But how do i know the door complies with the regs before i fit it. Does anyone have a set of regs? as i said its a composite door with 2 glass panels.

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
This is how I understand it......... (Not my words by the way) ;)

QUOTE:
To quote the extract from Approved Document L (Section 1.63, which takes some finding): 'The provision or extension of a controlled service or fitting (being a service or fitting in relation to which Part L1, and no other Part of Schedule 1, imposes a requirement) in or in connection with an existing building shall not be deemed to be building work unless that work consists of the provision or extension of a window, roof light, roof window, door (being a door which put together with its frame has more than 50 per cent of its internal face area glazed) or a space heating or hot water service boiler.'

In plain English, this can be interpreted that if a replacement door is less than 50 per cent glass, then it is not building work and therefore need not meet the requirements of Part L.

However, our infill panel with the biggest glass area has just over 0.5 square metres of glass, so providing your finished door is bigger than 1.0 sq metres (which it will be) and you use a PVCu or thermoplastic Portal panel, you don't have to concern yourself with Part L.

The chances are though, that a standard door with midrail will have more than 50 per cent glass and you will need to consider meeting the requirements of Part L. This can be achieved by the use of more efficient and often more expensive glass, such as low'E' and argon filled units.

Glassman said:
This can be achieved by the use of more efficient and often more expensive glass, such as low'E' and argon filled units.
Door glass also has to be toughened as do any windows adjacet to it.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Its a composite door, with 2 glass panels above it. The glass is toughened to a bs standard, but im not sure if its k glass. Do you think this will be acceptable.

cheers
Andy

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back