VeKa composite front door - struggling to close

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I had a Veka composite front door fitted just under 3 years ago. It is a front door with 2 side panels (with windows). All came as a Veka package from installer (i saw the labels so know it is genuine).

The door was a tight fit to start and was told it would 'loosen up'. Now, a couple years in it is really annoying as it seems to be getting worse. I can see the door just clip the frame when closing but cannot see anything loose that tightening would fix.

Fitter claims adjustments or installation problems are not covered by warranty after 1 year and they will not come and assess. They are FENSA and I kind of expect better. I went FENSA and bought a good brand door and just did not expect this so soon. Am i being unreasonable to expect this fixed by the installers? Should Veka composite doors 'swell' or warp?

Thanks,G

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately 1 year of adjustments is pretty standard with most large double glazing company's, I personally cover it for 10 years.
Composite doors do have several adjustments but I'm not familiar with VEKA.

What is actually tight? Closing the door, Lifting the handle, Turning the key etc

Can you take some pics of the hinges and latchs in the frame and one of the whole door/sidelights from the inside.
When the door is closed is there a fairly even gap all around the door to the frame (around 4-5mm)?

Adjusting may well be all it needs, if you could post pictures of the hinges and where the door is catching, whether the top middle or bottom on the lock side

As for the fitter not willing to come out then I'm already suspecting something.

You need to check your guarantee he supplied and read the T&Cs and find where if at all it states after 1 year adjustments and installation problems aren't covered, I may be stitching myself up here :whistle: but who's the insurer? If it makes no mention of a time period then he can't claim there is one as it all need to be in writing. Every policy I look at is different, yes some only cover workmanship for a year, adjustments too, but what does that tell you of the fitter that only covers his work for 1 year, there are however policies that cover this for 5 and 10 years though, if the door is too tight in the opening then it's a surveying error and in my eyes a workmanship issue and this is the crux of the matter, the fitter knows it and fobbed you off with an excuse hoping next time you ring him 1 year would of elapsed and he could fall back on his T&Cs, crafty!

Personally if I'd of fitted it and all it needed was a tweek with an Allen key or a bit of lube I'd do it anyway, there's no material costs and you could pop round while your out and about, poor show!

It be interesting to know what all the other installers on here cover and for what periods because at some point in the future if or when they cease trading within the guarantee period the insurer takes up the remainder, they do not have their own T&Cs but have a copy of the installers policy and they just follow that, if the fitter would of covered it then the insurer will to, if he wouldn't then the insurer won't.

An interesting one I came across once was when the installer retired 2 years after the fitting the job, make sure the guarantee covers the eventuality as a lot don't, my advice when looking around for windows; ask the guys age; anyone over 50 then walk away lol as you probably won't get your full ten years guarantee

The door itself is tight - it catches mostly at the top when closing - clipping the frame. Lifting the handle is mostly fine though it needs a slight push/tug to line up the security bolts as the door sticks out a bit (see pics). In answer to the questions:
- The gap around the door frame is not an even gap - on the hinge side it goes between 4-6mm but on the closing/lock side it is about 2mm.
- warranty I was told it was 10 years but when i finally received the documentation on one or two things it was 10 years (welding, distortion, glass seal) but most timed out after 1 year or so.
- don't know the insurer - will have a look if there is one.

I am starting to suspect the fitter measured wrong and tried to cram it in. But don't understand how that can be with the side panels all made to fit. I take it FENSA etc don't care about this stuff?

Worse - does that also mean it is not fixable? Have to replace the whole thing?

Door closing catching edge.JPG
Door closing side clearance.JPG
Door closing catching edge.JPG Door closing side clearance.JPGDoor edge.JPGDoor opening side clearance.JPGDoor opening side protuding when closd.JPGLower hinge.JPGMiddle hinge.JPGUpper hinge.JPGDoor closing catching edge.JPGDoor closing side clearance.JPGDoor edge.JPGDoor opening side clearance.JPGDoor closing catching edge.JPGDoor closing side clearance.JPGDoor edge.JPGDoor opening side clearance.JPGDoor opening side protuding when closd.JPGLower hinge.JPGMiddle hinge.JPGUpper hinge.JPG

Sponsored Links
Again I'm unfamiliar with those hinges (I have seen similar) but I expect they are adjustable, I expect the plastic capping on the hinges just slides off, If you can pull the caps off and take another pic.
The door looks too tight on the handle side, Hopefully it can just be adjusted over.

Very worst case scenario assuming they had measured the frames tight or the door frame is fitted badly out of level/bowed then it would most likely be possible to remove and refit the frames (possibly with having to cut the ribs off the edge of one or both sidelights). Probably a days labor for a good fitter to do. Thats very worst case! It should be adjustable assuming it is not already on max.

Adjusting may well be all it needs, if you could post pictures of the hinges and where the door is catching, whether the top middle or bottom on the lock side

As for the fitter not willing to come out then I'm already suspecting something.

You need to check your guarantee he supplied and read the T&Cs and find where if at all it states after 1 year adjustments and installation problems aren't covered, I may be stitching myself up here :whistle: but who's the insurer? If it makes no mention of a time period then he can't claim there is one as it all need to be in writing. Every policy I look at is different, yes some only cover workmanship for a year, adjustments too, but what does that tell you of the fitter that only covers his work for 1 year, there are however policies that cover this for 5 and 10 years though, if the door is too tight in the opening then it's a surveying error and in my eyes a workmanship issue and this is the crux of the matter, the fitter knows it and fobbed you off with an excuse hoping next time you ring him 1 year would of elapsed and he could fall back on his T&Cs, crafty!

Personally if I'd of fitted it and all it needed was a tweek with an Allen key or a bit of lube I'd do it anyway, there's no material costs and you could pop round while your out and about, poor show!

It be interesting to know what all the other installers on here cover and for what periods because at some point in the future if or when they cease trading within the guarantee period the insurer takes up the remainder, they do not have their own T&Cs but have a copy of the installers policy and they just follow that, if the fitter would of covered it then the insurer will to, if he wouldn't then the insurer won't.

An interesting one I came across once was when the installer retired 2 years after the fitting the job, make sure the guarantee covers the eventuality as a lot don't, my advice when looking around for windows; ask the guys age; anyone over 50 then walk away lol as you probably won't get your full ten years guarantee

Dont say that I wont get any more work in 13 years then lol.
It would certainly be interesting to see everyones T&C's. Personally I cant even make heads or tales of my own when I read them, I borrowed my previous employers and edited in with MS paint lol. I really should rewrite it one day!
Biggest problem for me is the amount of makes and products I fit (depending on what the customer wants) 5 or 6 makes of Composite doors, 5 or 6 window makes, Several bifolds, Patio doors, Conservatory roofs and alot of they have different guarantees on each part.
I just do manufacturers guarantee on products plus 10 years fitting and adjustments. Except on timber products, One year only on them.

I thought all the national company's were just 1 year on fitting/adjustments and even then they will still try to charge a call out if they can get away with it?

Just out of interest was the fitter a ' networkveka' approved installer, maybe speak with them, you can check on their website if he was I'm sure

We cover for the full ten years , except handles , hinges and letterplates and locks , as these are moving parts and are covered for a year BUT on saying that if we can see it is an obvious manufacturing issue or failure of a part due to no fault of the customer we will change it free of charge. We had a spate of Satin chrome fittings that were showing pitting after 18 months and we replaced all of them for the customer free.
as goes adjustments , these are covered by the warranty, and we usually find we have to go back usually only the once , about a month later , after the hinges have ' settled '. We also have adjusted hinges for local customers who purchased elsewhere free of charge as well, as a sign of good customer service ( as has been said doesn't take a lot to adjust hinges normally )

As for the OP , Fensa won't care one iota about the fitter not coming back out unfortunately. As Gazman says though , I reckon those caps pull off and there may be some adjustment screws, again not a hinge I've seen on a composite door

Not a hinge I'm familiar with but it looks like the 3 Allen grubs tighten in and stand the hinge away from the frame once you've loosened the Philips screws but it looks like they're backed right off

We have got similar hinges to yours on our windows and front door- ours have more axis for adjustment though. You should be able to slip the white cap up and get access to a bolt (Allen or Xex) to allow some height adjustment.
If you go onto the VeKa website, they promise a 10 warranty. Just call them.

Thanks everyone,

The problem is now sorted and for your time it is only right I would update you all on the eventual fix.

Seems like poor initial installation.

The hinges were adjustable with a hex/allen key but they had been adjusted already to the maximum. The solution was removing the metal 'packer' located behind the hinges (removed the upper hinge packer). I would have preferred not doing that as it appears a little less secure (the hex bolts made it seem like there were lots of screws holding the door in). But the door closes easily now!

Just loud now due to the plastic that lines the insulation fibre/cloth around the edge/rim.

Thanks guys, let me know if you would like a pic.

Total bodge up, the aluminium coupler is there for a reason.
I'd request for the door to be refitted!!
Was this a Veka approved installer who advised on this?

Not sure it was the coupler removed DH from his description, Sounds like it was a shim of some sort behind the actual hinge. Still not the correct way to do it, as the door should have been fitted with some adjustment available

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back