Front door frame problems, crack!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone advise please?

I re-painted my front door frame 2 years ago. This consisted of stripping the old paint, sealing the knots, filling in imperfections with wood filler including an area that was effected by weathering; this same area I also treated with a wood hardener. You can see this area in the photo.

door_frame01.jpg

The paint I used was Dulux Weathershield, the frame was reprimed, undercoated followed by 3 coats of top coat, though the problem is self evident.

I wondered what options I had short of replacing the whole door frame.

Could I for example, chisel / drill out a small part of this area and fill-in with wood filler? Don't mock me if that is a rediculous idea, just a thought!

BTW, the door is north west facing so does not receive any direct strong sunlight.

Sponsored Links
Is it rotting? Best way to find out is to press with a small screedriver (not an object with a round point as it wil look like woodworm later).

If it is, you have to cut away all the rotten stuff, then further back, into sound wood.

the sill may be rotten as well.

How old is it?

Hi John

Yes! A screwdriver goes into the rotton wood at several areas around the area you can see in the photo, up to 10 cms above the sill and to the left edge of the frame some 4 cms above the sill. The sill is fine, I suppose the sill is a hardwood and has not been effected.

Can you recommend a filler?

http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/polycell_wood_flex_polyfilla.html

Or something more serious needs doing perhaps?

Thanks.

It all needs cutting away. Usual method is to cut at a slant, lowest on the outside edge, and cut a replacement piece of timber to fit. you have to screw old and new firmly to the wall. as cutting it removes strength and rigidity. I always like to soak old and new timber in Cuprinol Clear to protect against future rot when used out in the rain.

You should find the side of the frame is tenoned into a mortice in the sill, you should be able to make the new one fit, but not very well as you can't push it in vertically. The sill may have rotted in the mortice as water gets in.

Last time I bought some hardwood frames I think they were less than £50 each.

Some people like to treat hardwood with linseed oil (or other oils) instead of using paint. I tried it on my exposed sills last year and so far they look OK. It seems to throw off the rain and looks quite good.

Sponsored Links
I think I'll do as you suggest, a real pain in the ass as I spent some time making the frame look good 2 years ago.

BTW, the frame and door are almost 10 years old. I tested the sill and it appears sound

Thanks for the help.

just to add to johns exelent advice the cill is only held in by the legs off the frame[and any render at the ends] so you need to tie them together
if not by a normal tennon use a false tennon

a false tennon is basicly a tennon that goes into both bits of wood
you make a bit off wood to fit into the cill but twice the length or a bit longer then you fit the tennon into the frame infill peice
this way if the infill bit has the back of the mortice open you can glue the false tennon into the cill with a scew screw to hold it in and work the infill into position over the the tight fitting false mortice and tennon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back