Front door levers catching when locking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi on my front upvc door with multipoint locking I have to give the handle an extra nudge when locking as it sticks just enough to stop the key turning, but works fine if I try it when opened, so I assume that after around 10 years it has dropped a bit and I need to Jack the hinges up a bit, if this is right can anyone tell me how, I know where the screws are.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Going to need photos. Door and especially close ups of the hinges. There are hundreds of Makes/types

generous squirt with wd40 cured mine.

WD40 is not good for locks. It remains tacky so attracts dust and dirt into a lock which in the long term can make things worse
Silicone spray or Graphite spray is whats recommended.
Probably wouldn't do any harm but best not to invalidate any guarantees

Sponsored Links
WD40 is not good for locks. It remains tacky so attracts dust and dirt into a lock which in the long term can make things worse
Silicone spray or Graphite spray is whats recommended.
Probably wouldn't do any harm but best not to invalidate any guarantees
Tacky? its oil in petrol suspension.Silicon attracts dust.

Just going by what I have been told and read many times on lock maintenance instructions. I'm no expert but this is what one lock manufacturer says:
This is what we find works best to keep your lock in its best working condition lubricate the lock cylinder. Do not use WD-40, WD-40 is a solvent, not a lubricant and will, in fact, remove any type of lubricant that is in the cylinder. Use a lubricant that has a silicone, graphite or Teflon base only. Make sure the lock cylinder is facing up and spray or pour the lubricant into the cylinder. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Place a rag on your workstation and turn the lock over onto the rag for a minute or so. This should be done several times a year to keep your lock working properly

I have read the same or similar many times in instruction for locks and locking gear I fit.

D22CFA5C-BB1B-473A-A8BF-E3F2F3D99BF6.jpeg 80A73F52-1C7C-4649-A2DB-00BDBF48FCCC.jpeg 7D40571E-D27E-4289-B9E7-A4E0932A923A.jpeg Pics of the hinges

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back