Front door material

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hopefully having light oak effect uPVC windows and want a new front door as well. Was planning on having a matching composite door, but wouldn't mind a hardwood one. However, I'm getting very confused!

What's best - solid or engineered?

Can they be oiled - a lot of the sales blurb says not which doesn't make sense to me. I want to retain the natural colour/effect of the wood.

Or is a composite a better bet for a reliable fitting door?

And one website doesn't recommend their external doors be used externally unless protected by a canopy!

Any reason I can't put a vertical letterbox in a door with vertical grooves?

Ta.

Sponsored Links
Indeed - postage would be a bit high :)

Interested in pros and cons of the different materials, not styles.

Hi MJ, I to am after a new front door, I went into the shop below and they explained to me that a new solid oak door is approx 3 times the price of an engineered door.

http://www.cotswood-doors.co.uk/

I know it no-where near you but they should have all the info on their website you need.

Andy

Sponsored Links
What's best - solid or engineered?

Engineered will always be more stable and better, though sometimes depending on how they do it, the laminates may not match very well, not commonly an issue.

Can they be oiled - a lot of the sales blurb says not

Oil finishes have a very short life and are not much of a sealer, they probably want them stained or painted for proper protection.

Personally I would get a UPVC door because they will never expand/contract in the cold and heat or if they get wet.

Personally I would get a UPVC door because they will never expand/contract in the cold and heat or if they get wet.

:eek: You are joking aren't you, worst things to have in the sun, expand, contract, crack, fade, warp, bow and if i knew how to put pictures up in a thread i'd show you plenty

I think perhaps solarsecurity likes plastic doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back