Front door Step

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I’m looking to put a front door step in using a base built of engineering bricks and then some concrete slabs on top. I have started putiing these bricks mortared up to the existing house brick but am now wondering if this will cause any issues? but i believe they are below the DPC of the house. Any advice would be much appreciated. Here are some photos below.

Attachments

• IMG_0785.jpeg
    IMG_0785.jpeg
    426 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0789.jpeg
    IMG_0789.jpeg
    922.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0788.jpeg
    IMG_0788.jpeg
    980.4 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
Any advice would be much appreciated.
You don't really need bricks there. You want that first step higher, i.e. about half way up the top brick (below dpc). The step out the door and over the threshold is the danger one. (y)

Sponsored Links
You don't really need bricks there. You want that first step higher, i.e. about half way up the top brick (below dpc). The step out the door and over the threshold is the danger one. (y)
Should i remove these?

I'd do exactly what you're doing, creating one step about half way up.
I would rather have a small step out of the building over that threshold, and a modest step down after that. It's worse when exiting. Especially bad when carrying something bulky at chest height. I did loads for pensioners on a retirees (bungalow) estate by us. Set up varying mock heights etc.

It's the threshold that is the danger and the fact that you can't stop your weight going forwards. ALWAYS have that top step close. The top edge of the threshold is the point of measurement and where you should measure down from.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back