Front wall and side railings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I was hoping to make some changes to my front wall, including

1) Adding a new gate that its the same height as the pillars (1.3 metres)
2) Putting railings along the top of the lower section of wall to raise it to the same height as the pillars
3) Replace the 700mm wooden fence that runs perpendicular to the front wall, between my garden and the neighbour

The house detached and the front wall is directly adjacent to the footpath.

I think that 1) and 2) will need planning permission because they raise the height of the existing gate and lower wall above the 1 metre limit.

I think that 3) may also require planning because the railings would begin within 450mm of the footpath (which I think still falls within the definition of "adjacent").

However, I was hoping that maybe

- 1) and 2) might be OK because they don't raise the maximum height of the front wall
- 3) might be OK because only a very short section (550mm) of the railings would be within 1 metre, such that the permission department would not be interested

I've tried to sketch out my ideas below, and wondered if anybody could please give me any advice on the specifics.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

clz0F6yh.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Not sure if you are still looking at this but the rule is anything facing a highway can be 1m high. Sides and rear (if not fronting a highway) can be 2m high. It makes no difference if it’s brick, railing, wood, bush etc.

Anything that is already there can probably stay. Anything new must meet today’s rules. You can repair a gate or railing but if it is a new gate or railing it must meet today’s rules.

You could well be right that the planners might not be that interested but it is quite a risk as if a neighbour complains you will need to apply for permission or take it down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back